When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Molotow Liquid Chrome

-

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
Is Molotow a worthy alternative to chrome plating? It costs ~$25 per oz on Amazon. You put in an air brush and go to town. The local chrome plater wants $150 per part.

I want to use it on areas that would need to blend in with original chrome.

2119c51ad1bba9c622e77d0d4d239786.jpg

Here’s a link to amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-ONE4...d=1560568659&s=gateway&sr=8-7&srs=18926985011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So no one on here knows of any chrome alternatives?

Nope. There is no other alternative for chrome. Looks like molotow is a paint for modeling. I wonder if your plating outfit can do a bright nickel a lot cheaper than doing chrome.
Here's more "chrome paint" that looks darn good. But it's still a paint and will not last like a plating. With that black undercoat, it brings to mind the Schwinn S refector housings.

Thanks for the input.

The molotow is a hack used by the model community, fwiw. It’s a refill for pens that just happens to work well if applied with air brush.

I’m quite torn about which direction to take. $$ is a huge concern. It looks like the most pragmatic solution is to order replacement parts on eBay.

If you ever want to sell it, the buyer will probably want chrome, but will you be able to get your $$$ back?

Sometimes it’s cheaper to find a nicer version of the part and sell the old part off. Creating the Swapmeet pile.
You can also buy some brass wool and use turtlewax chrome cleaner and just clean what you have. Even with the flaked, pitted areas and enjoy the bike as is. Your not building a show bike.
Just clean it up. ride it and enjoy. Pass it off to the next user when done.

I have used it on my model parts and is very convincing but then it's a 1/32 or 1/48 scale plastic kit. Being paint it will scratch easily and will not look like actual chromed metal on such a large part.

Back