When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark 5 Bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jay81

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Just picked it up. Think it's a '39?
Looks like it's changed hands a few times here on the cabe. If any of the previous owners (or anyone else that knows about these) could chime in and tell me about it, I would appreciate it. I really don't know much about it, or 5 bars in general. From incorrect parts, to the history of the bike, I'd like to learn as much as I can about it.
I'm assuming it should have a rack on it.
Thanks

20170731_174303.jpg
20170731_174314.jpg
20170731_174324.jpg
20170731_174333.jpg
20170731_174403.jpg
20170731_174414.jpg

All you need is the correct stem and bars and the aforementioned rack which is the standard McCauley used on many 30's bikes and you are in business. Still amazes me how many people are unaware of the "Articles" tab at the top of the page. I should be getting my Flying Merkel article posted soon. Then maybe I can get back on the Schwinn Brake article! V/r Shawn

Thanks guys, I knew about the articles section but didn't think to check there. Guess I'll have to look for a '34 Huffman now, since I already have a B10E.
I am a bit confused on the bars and stem. My stem appears to be the Wald # 3 shown in the article if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if my bars are considered "steer horn" or not. So should it have the "can't slip" stem and dual position bars instead?
One other thing, my rear fender has an extra hole in it and it looks like a factory mounting hole, since there's a flat spot on the peak where the hole is. Is this a rear fender from a dual suspension model? It can be seen in these pics, just below where the fender mounts to the frame.

20170528_192605-jpg.jpg

20170528_192554-jpg.jpg

Good luck on the 34 huffman Jay. Ride on!
Thanks guys, I knew about the articles section but didn't think to check there. Guess I'll have to look for a '34 Huffman now, since I already have a B10E.
I am a bit confused on the bars and stem. My stem appears to be the Wald # 3 shown in the article if I'm not mistaken. Not sure if my bars are considered "steer horn" or not. So should it have the "can't slip" stem and dual position bars instead?
One other thing, my rear fender has an extra hole in it and it looks like a factory mounting hole, since there's a flat spot on the peak where the hole is. Is this a rear fender from a dual suspension model? It can be seen in these pics, just below where the fender mounts to the frame.

View attachment 653421

View attachment 653422
Getting harder to find these all complete! Great bike, Good luck!

View attachment 653421

View attachment 653422

The Wald #3 was generally used on the later bikes. The typical stem would be the non-slip with steer horns. The tough part on these bars is the 7/8" diameter. You can find a pair of sleeved bars and remove the sleeve to make it work. The dual position bars are pretty scarce even though these are featured prominently in the literature. I've only seen a few real pairs of these and so you may just want to stick with the standard bars. I don't believe the rear fender is for a dual suspension bike. My article needs a few revisions and since I wrote that I have now seen two dual suspension bikes and both have stainless fenders so I don't think the artwork in the ad is correct. Another note on that is the complete bike I saw also has a Delta battery tube to power the dual silver rays which solves another mystery for me. I'd find a rack and patina restore the fenders/rack. V/r Shawn

All you need is the correct stem and bars and the aforementioned rack which is the standard McCauley used on many 30's bikes and you are in business. Still amazes me how many people are unaware of the "Articles" tab at the top of the page. I should be getting my Flying Merkel article posted soon. Then maybe I can get back on the Schwinn Brake article! V/r Shawn
I'll have to admit it....I wasn't aware of the 'articles' tab..I am now, Thanks

View attachment 653421

View attachment 653422

I wouldn't be too concerned about finding the "correct" parts for it, unless your going to restore it, the stem and bars are at least period correct.

Enjoy it as is for now.

I should probably clarify when I say "later bikes". In this case it appears Monark changed some things mid-stream '39. The early '39 bikes have flat fender braces and my observations are that these bikes are generally equipped with the 'non-slip' stem. The bikes equipped with the channeled braces generally have a Wald #3. That said I have seen at least one original paint bike with flat braces with the Wald stem so your bike is good with this stem and bars. Pure conjecture on my part but I surmise the 'non-slip' stem was a flop and was short lived. There are probably a couple reasons for this but number one is that most bars are not interchangeable with this stem due to the 7/8" diameter whereas most bars are 1" at the stem area. V/r Shawn

Back