When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

monark 5-bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
On closer examination, I take it back, I don;t think the tankless frame is Snyder. I don;t believe that the Snyder frames had the double tubes go under the crank housing.
As for the super rare twin suspension five bar. I have never heard of one ever being found. I was lucky enough to be approached by a guy at the Memory Lane swap about four years ago who was looking for identification on a bike part. What he showed me truly blew my mind. It was the rear suspension fork piece from a five bar. He said that he found it when digging through some old pack rat farmers piles of junk. Several other collectors were there, including Nostalgic Dave. I haven;t seen that collector since, I do remember that he was from Wisconsin however. Funny, I am terrible at remembering names, but NEVER forget where someone is from.... or a mega rare bike part, lol.

I believe the 5 Bar bikes marketed by Montgomery Ward (badged Hawthorne) are actually Hawthorne Twin Bar models. The first year was 38 (I believe) and was not offered with a tank. 39 offered a tank and has a lighted jewel in the side. If you have a copy of James Hurd's "Collectable Elgin-JC Higgins and Hawthorne Bicycles" the 38 is on page 173 (a copy of the Montgomery Ward catalog page) and the 39 with the lighted jewel tank is on page 180.
Monark built the Super Frame and marketed them with the name "Five bar".
They made both a straight bar tank model (M604) and a curved bar tankless model (M602)
Perhaps collectors have dubbed the Hawthorne Twin Bars: "5 Bars " because of the similarity and the "Twin Bar" moniker conjours up visions of the Elgin Twin Bar, a very different style of frame. (My guess)

It is also my understanding that the first use of the term "Twin Bar" was in 33/34 in describing the frames used on Elgin Black Hawk and Falcon models.

thanks to all 5-bar experts

Taking in all of this information, all of my frames seem to be Monark frames that all have the continuous bars that wrap under the crank hanger. I am thinking that I may restore all of the bicycles. It would be novel to have an example of each in one collection.

I will be looking for parts if anyone has parts that would work. lights handlebars fenders, chain guards cranks, let me know. thanks Paul

Thanks to all 5-bar experts

Taking in all of this information, all of my frames seem to be Monark frames that all have the continuous bars that wrap under the crank hanger. I am thinking that I may restore all of the bicycles. It would be novel to have an example of each in one collection.

I will be looking for parts if anyone has parts that would work. lights handlebars fenders, chain guards cranks, let me know. thanks Paul

here ....;)
hawthorne-1.jpg

I just have to say this thread is a wealth of knowledge! I am obessed in finding more information on this rear suspension five bar. The link below says one exists? Well if one exists... where is it?! Why is there no pictures of it proving its existence? Mr. Dave can you please elaborate on that more? Where do you recieve that information?

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle86.htm

I just have to say this thread is a wealth of knowledge! I am obessed in finding more information on this rear suspension five bar. The link below says one exists? Well if one exists... where is it?! Why is there no pictures of it proving its existence? Mr. Dave can you please elaborate on that more? Where do you recieve that information?

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle86.htm

Newbee, at least one exists, but I believe it to be # 2...mine is the one in the link pgroah refers to. I found this twin suspension 5 Bar pretty much by accident a little over a year ago when my partner and I bought a group of 40 vintage bikes from an old bike shop in the MO Ozarks. We had no idea what it was at the time but it was part of the 40. Shortly after getting them all home while trying to find out more about the Airman I also found the same link you did, on Dave's site with the 1939 Spiegel catalogue page. I'm guessing this one to be #2 but have never seen pictures of or know much else about #1. I did read in another old CABE post that it was locked away in a "closet" somewhere, and then later heard it is now being restored, but have no real info to back that up. I too would like to know any more information on this bike or the other one if anyone can help? Here are a couple close up pictures of the rear suspension from # 2 in Kansas.
DSC00170-1.jpg

DSC00172-1.jpg

Last edited:
Back