When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Airman Recent Find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wow!
Congrats!
Definitely one of the most head scratchingly interesting designs of the balloon tire era.
A headset that can’t be adjusted without removing the truss rods/plate.
Oh, yeah!
Don’t forget about the shims needed to secure the headset cups.
I guess sizing the headtube, to the industries available headset cups would’ve made it too easy.
A headbadge that can’t be applied without taking a pair of tin snips to it.
A suspension system that totally defies logic.
A rear fender that appears to be an afterthought.
Never knew about the horn button that can’t be replaced.
It’s no wonder these things are so rare.
I’m sure there’s a bunch of other odd idiosyncrasies with this seamlessly well thought out design.
Other than that, what a badass bike!

Looks mostly complete.

Deluxe Comet. Needs rack, lights and stem.

Wonder if chrome fenders were an option?

They fit the bike so I suppose it was possible.

Again. Congrats.

Fenders are stainless and are same used on 26X. I can’t tell from the pic but is the front one trimmed? Also is there a hole in the front fender for a headlight? Any indication on either top or down tubes of a battery tube being attached. I would really like to see better pics of entire bike as well as the areas I mentioned. Lastly where will the bidding begin on this one! V/r Shawn

Fenders are stainless and are same used on 26X. I can’t tell from the pic but is the front one trimmed? Also is there a hole in the front fender for a headlight? Any indication on either top or down tubes of a battery tube being attached. I would really like to see better pics of entire bike as well as the areas I mentioned. Lastly where will the bidding begin on this one! V/r Shawn
Shawn, the front fork braces does seem to have the holes for the dual Silver Rays as mine did. Never seen that on any other regular 39 5 Bar fork. But even zooming in best I can I don't see a switch on the tank etc. which has always been a mystery?

Shawn, the front fork braces does seem to have the holes for the dual Silver Rays as mine did. Never seen that on any other regular 39 5 Bar fork. But even zooming in best I can I don't see a switch on the tank etc. which has always been a mystery?
Marty,
The only complete original bike I know of has a Delta battery tube mounted on the down tube if memory serves which is why I asked the questions. As you know the battery holder inside the tank will only hold two D cells which certainly wouldn't power both the horn and lights. I really need to revise my monograph on these because I've added additional info for both the regular Five Bars as well as the Comet and its Monark sibling. For those that really want to geek out on Five Bar stuff go to the top of the page for "Articles" or to this link https://thecabe.com/articles/the-monark-super-frame-five-bar/ V/r Shawn

Shawn, yes I agree these must of had a Delta battery tube to power the Silver Rays. I have just never figured out how or where the switch was located. Unless it was on the battery tube?

Shawn, yes I agree these must of had a Delta battery tube to power the Silver Rays. I have just never figured out how or where the switch was located.
On the tube endcap. Photo credit @John V/r Shawn

Odd that an auxiliary battery tube was not pictured in this ad. Has anyone confirmed that this particular bike only has a 2-cell battery tray? Sure looks like the lights are powered from inside the tank to me. I don't claim to be an expert by any means. Just an observation.

1939 ss spiegel pg383.jpg

1939 ss spiegel pg383(1).jpg

Back