When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Airman year??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

MTGeorge

Finally riding a big boys bike
I know its Monark built and that the drive train has been replaced but I am having trouble figuring out what its supposed to look like. Would it have had the typical Monark sprocket and a guard or the pie crust? The bars are also suspect as the grips were swapped out long ago. Can anybody pin down a year or have a catalog pic somewhere?
20171205_092631.jpg
20171205_092839.jpg

Your bike would probably be 40-41. Freqman said the headbadge style is from 40-41. I had a similar Monark but it had a Rocket badge. Mine had a 41 serial number. It was on the left rear drop out. It was very lightly stamped so be careful looking for it. I never have found a catalog print of this frame style.

Mine also had the Monark chainring with the holes in it for the pie crust. There was no indication that the holes had ever been used tho. I've seen this ring used on a few prewar Monarks that never had a pie crust.
image.jpg
image (1).jpg

Your bike would probably be 40-41. Freqman said the headbadge style is from 40-41. I had a similar Monark but it had a Rocket badge. Mine had a 41 serial number. It was on the left rear drop out. It was very lightly stamped so be careful looking for it. I never have found a catalog print of this frame style.

Mine also had the Monark chainring with the holes in it for the pie crust. There was no indication that the holes had ever been used tho. I've seen this ring used on a few prewar Monarks that never had a pie crust.View attachment 722930 View attachment 722931

Serial number is under the bottom bracket. The flat braces had me thinking earlier than that.

Serial number is under the bottom bracket. The flat braces had me thinking earlier than that.

Post the serial number, there are a couple of lists. The braces apparently changed between 39 and 40 according to the article on the five bars by Freqman. Although it's not certain that all models changed at the time. I do have notes on my old bike that note the frame is in the Fall/Winter 39-40 Spiegel catalog (Catalog No.148). I have not tracked that catalog down yet.

Back