When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Bearcat

-

Avanti

Look Ma, No Hands!
Does this Monark Bearcat girl's bike belong to you? I saved this image off Facebook back in 2020 but can't find the original post. Please message me if you have info on it.

20220728_234555.jpg

FB_IMG_1587290604101.jpg

I believe there's an ad for this model in the Evolution of the Bicycle books, not sure if it's vol. 1 or 2. But it's a later '50s middleweight, shortly before Huffy bought the Monark co.

I believe there's an ad for this model in the Evolution of the Bicycle books, not sure if it's vol. 1 or 2. But it's a later '50s middleweight, shortly before Huffy bought the Monark co.
I posted an ad from the July 1954 American Bicyclist in this thread:

It's interesting that the ad states that the Bearcat has three speeds, while the bike pictured has a two-speed hub. These bikes don't show up very often.

I posted an ad from the July 1954 American Bicyclist in this thread:

It's interesting that the ad states that the Bearcat has three speeds, while the bike pictured has a two-speed hub. These bikes don't show up very often.
That's the first year 26" version with the Three-Speed hub. Monark used the "Bearcat" name on various other models including the bike pictured above, which is a 24" with a Bendix Two-Speed. It probably dates to '55 or '56 making it a middleweight but I can't be sure.

Incidentally, I'm looking any photos or blurbs about Monark bikes from issues of American Bicyclist (1956-57).

Back