When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Bicycle ID and making it correct

-

Bruce1967

On Training Wheels
Hello all,

Brand new to the forum and new to antique bikes. I recently picked up this Monark bicycle, I'am having trouble finding an ID, it has no tag under the crank housing. I sanded the bottom side of the paint and did not find any numbers either, not sure approximate year, Suggestions?

I also attached some photos of the bicycle can you chime in and let me know what is correct and not correct on the bicycle, its a older restoration, let me know if you need more pics. I want to get it back as period correct as I can. Thanks in advance. Bruce.

Hello all,

Brand new to the forum and new to antique bikes. I recently picked up this Monark bicycle, I'am having trouble finding an ID, it has no tag under the crank housing. I sanded the bottom side of the paint and did not find any numbers either, not sure approximate year, Suggestions?

I also attached some photos of the bicycle can you chime in and let me know what is correct and not correct on the bicycle, its a older restoration, let me know if you need more pics. I want to get it back as period correct as I can. Thanks in advance. Bruce.

View attachment 1307310

View attachment 1307311

View attachment 1307312

View attachment 1307313

View attachment 1307315

View attachment 1307316

View attachment 1307317
I would leave it as is; it's a damn nice piece & appears somebody has put a little time & money into dressing it up.

Credit @the tinker @Freqman1

You may have to sand or scrape the frame under the bottom bracket. Could be covered thickly in paint or let's hope not powder coat. I have seen #s filled and holes where the aluminum tag had been

Prime example; BBL in front of this Monark Rocket tag. Was original paint before stripping it did not show

Last edited:
The '48 tag is probably pretty accurate as far as the date of the bike. The restorer took some liberties with the paint and added some stripes on the rack. The rims should be chrome I believe and the SA hubs/brake are not factory. The pedals are also not correct for this model. Odd they put the shifter/brake on the same side. Looks like they tried to save money by staying away from the chrome shop as well. A nice looking bike but an amateur job and to make a 100% correct would require more money than this is worth. I'd enjoy the bike as is. V/r Shawn

3 speed rear hub, extra light, horn, and speedo aren't factory. Rims should be chrome or silver anodized, correct seat has two smaller crash bars instead of one. I can't say I've seen that color combo before. The chain ring looks small, might be from a ladies'. It looks good though!

Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate it, I lightly sanded an area under the crank, still do not see any numbers. Should I strip more? or be looking in another location. Bruce.

what you could do to get some of it back to period correct is find some chrome rims like the ones you have on it now.then get a bigger sprocket of the same design the one on it now is a girls monark one.get new departure front and back hubs,polish and respoke the wheel set and it will set off that paint color nicely.i have seen that color combo before.
1607148478491.png

I wouldn't toss the Sturmey Archer stuff to put it back Original. It's probably a lot Nicer rider as is with it and even the girl's sprocket (I would trade a boys for it) Yes I like the easier pedaling they offer! As far as the rims I would leave them if they're painted nicely BUT I would buy a different White Wall treaded tire for it. Not necessarily vintage but a Good riding Thick brick style. Enjoy it as a restored smooth riding custom! There's some fine Only Original Once bikes on here, there's some "restored" bikes on here; that show amazing talent & deep pockets, and then the Customs which show Individual Soul & Flavor. Some of them are jus' as Nice If Not More Awwwesome than the previous mentioned bikes because Nobody has the same thing.

Proof of Monarks being 1 of the Coolest Customs

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/monark-super-deluxe-rat-for-sale-or-trade.182584/

Not only that but If the Owner of the sandblasted bare metal pinstriped moon disc Monark will stand up or 1 of the fellow Caber's knows Exactly the Bad Ass! bike I am describing You'll see the Soul & Flavor I speak of. Also look onto the Custom forum for the Fat Tire Monark! Personal choice in what you want in the end but even some of the collectors Love these Customs as personalized 1 offs.

Back