When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CTony

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello All.I just purchased a Monark bike and have questions about this bike.I spent 40$ on it but what caught my eyes was the equipment I’m going to up load photos of bicycl.please give me your thoughts.

D21CFB79-A2EA-4B91-8194-354249A59657.jpeg

754E72AA-19D3-4D8A-91A7-799DD34BC9CA.jpeg

066BEF3F-C8AC-41CF-ADF0-1FCA9D6E3F27.jpeg

96BC54FB-E362-4F9A-8B17-1FC35E593326.jpeg

71039624-E7A2-421F-B328-CEBEEF79E1F3.jpeg

FD91F45C-2D3E-4641-8329-BE0C2AE332FC.jpeg

827A5C3E-40F4-4E7B-BCED-CFD83F2B21F9.jpeg

03EC80D3-2F4C-449C-9DC2-18460F492D60.jpeg

FE62B7AC-500F-42D1-B6D8-88F6402571CC.jpeg

823EB8FF-9392-4A21-96BA-836BCAB1F2DC.jpeg

-----

contract produced in Britain during the 1950's for Monark USA

have seen other examples of these which were done by Raleigh
do not recognize the maker in this case

the last character (symbol) in the seat lug marking indicates the city within California where the bicycle was licensed

California bicycle licenses are granted for a term of three years
if you subtract three years from the expiry date on the blue & silver license transfer you may have the year of original purchase

the machine's Cyclo Benelux Mark 7 gear ensemble launched in 1957 so date likely to be between there and the early 1960's

by the mid to later 1960's this model was coming through with a Huret Allvit gear ensemble; had the opportunity to see in person an example from 1968 which was so kitted

cycle bears no relation to Monark of Sweden

-----

Last edited:
Thank You Juvela.I just read interesting article called made in chicago they had photos of head badges one similar to whats on this bike but no chicago co.So that being said safe to say built in England?I have never seen 26x13/8 (590) bike with style of gearing.Every day is a learning day.Again Thank you.

-----

26" wheel "tenspeeds" were fairly common at this era

frequently produced by domestic Yank perpetrators

sometimes ordered that way from foreign contract manufacturers

as the cycle sits in the repair stand it "looks" like the rear wheel might be a 27 and the front a 26 - your eyes are the ones on the scene...

note for example the position of the brake pads in the adjusting slots of the brake calipers

-----

-----

26" wheel "tenspeeds" were fairly common at this era

frequently produced by domestic Yank perpetrators

sometimes ordered that way from foreign contract manufacturers

as the cycle sits in the repair stand it "looks" like the rear wheel might be a 27 and the front a 26 - your eyes are the ones on the scene...

note for example the position of the brake pads in the adjusting slots of the brake calipers

-----

Juvela I checked on those wheels both are 26x13/8.Rear brake was new tourney shimano.Front brake seems to be original has hook where brake cable attache’s too.will new wheel set maybe a upgrade

-----

value -

cycle not of much greater market value than purchase price

mention this in case you are considering mounting new parts prior to posting for sale

it would be easy to get quickly "under water" with more invested than could be recovered, even counting labour at zero

if on the other hand, you would wish to retain the bicycle either for collection or rider then investing in new fittings of a much lesser issue

---

wheels -

clearances are so large, both front and rear, that is appears manufacturer may have employed same frame to build models with both 26 and 27 inch wheels

you mention possibility of changing wheels

appears there would be room for either 700 (622 bead seat diameter) or 27 (630 bead seat diameter)

this would be an opportunity to go to alloy rims which would save a bit of weight and would give much improved braking performance

suggest to consider 700 due to the much greater tyre selection the size affords

going with a larger wheel size may mean you could go to shorter brake calipers which will have less flex

---

bar wrap -

the white plastic tape seen hanging loosely in photo is likely to be GEM brand, if original to cycle
if you would like to stay with the OEM product there are new rolls which come up regularly on ebay and similar venues

GEM handlebar tape .jpg

---

chainset -

appears it may be NICKLIN brand

if this the case there will be recess on the back side of the arm just below the spindle hole with a raised letter N in its centre

here is a NICKLIN set done for Raleigh

Raleigh:Nicklin crank arm .jpg

---

gearing -

in case you wish to consider making a gearing change you will need to stay within the moderate capacity of the Cyclo Benelux Mark 7 gear mech

---

hope you have lots of fun working with the machine, cosmetic condition appears quite excellent for age, the paint finish should polish up very nicely for you

-----

Monark imported some TI-built lightweights before Huffy bought them (at the end of 1957), and Huffy imported Raleigh lightweights under the "Huffy Sportsman" label up until sometime in the '60's. The lugs on this frame look like a Raleigh, so I'm guessing this was imported after Huffy bought Monark. Compare it to the Huffy Sportsman "Model 398" in this 1961 Catalog:

Monark imported some TI-built lightweights before Huffy bought them (at the end of 1957), and Huffy imported Raleigh lightweights under the "Huffy Sportsman" label up until sometime in the '60's. The lugs on this frame look like a Raleigh, so I'm guessing this was imported after Huffy bought Monark. Compare it to the Huffy Sportsman "Model 398" in this 1961 Catalog:

-----

😉

Lines right up she do! 😁

-----

Back