When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Built TANKLESS 5bar thread(Hawthorne Twin)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Nice Bike, Mike!
It’s good to see an original blue survivor for a change.
Streamlined Troxel and all!
Way cool!
Interesting to note, that it looks like it has a New Departure coaster brake hub, instead of a Morrow.
I guess that kind of puts to bed, the debate over the literature stating that the red bikes came with a New Departure, and the blue bikes came with a Morrow.

+1. Will need proper fenders, light, rack, etc. Seat is actually leather, not oilcloth, which is unusual. This one turned up on eBay in the "Buy it Now" ticker at the top, up there ^^^^.

My Monark built 1938 Hawthrone Twinbar.jpg

Okay, I'm going to post on this thread, and I apologize for the amateur question, but I've been reading up on the different variations of frame styles for these produced by Monark, H.P. Snyder, CWC, Elgin-Westfield, and Murray. I know that the Snyder and CWC were constructed like conventional frame style (down tubes welded into the bottom bracket and from what I can tell, the top bars are welded into the head tube, and the seat tube is welded into the BB as well) I also read through the Shawn's monograph to make sure I was fully understanding and with that, my sincerest apologies for asking, but with @kingfish254 and his 5 bar, though badged as Hawthorne, it has all the same characteristics outlined in this thread and the monograph, except it's badged Hawthorne, instead of Monark.

Is that the difference at that point?
Were the Hawthorne branded 5 bars that wrap under the BB not built by Monark?
Besides the first photo below, I see the dual down tubes wrapped around the BB on all frames, the exposed "lugs" on the head tubes and the exposed "lug" on the straightbar at the Seat tube. Obviously the forks differentiate between models, whether or not they had tanks matters too, and/or the rear suspension for that fact... but, momentarily casting that aside...

In the photos below are the last three photos essentially the same frame style made by Monark but badged differently?

Sorry, as I said, it's an amateur question, but that one point is confounding me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
judd

Pic 1: is Snyder built (correct)
Pic 2: Kingfish's 5 bar badged Hawthorne
Pic 3: 5 bar badged Hawthorne with the same qualities of a Monark - even the chain ring
Pic 4: 5 bar badged Monark from @rustjunkie shared ephemera

snyder built .jpeg

hawthorne 2.jpeg

hawthorne.jpeg

Moanrk.jpeg

Okay, I'm going to post on this thread, and I apologize for the amateur question, but I've been reading up on the different variations of frame styles for these produced by Monark, H.P. Snyder, CWC, Elgin-Westfield, and Murray. I know that the Snyder and CWC were constructed like conventional frame style (down tubes welded into the bottom bracket and from what I can tell, the top bars are welded into the head tube, and the seat tube is welded into the BB as well) I also read through the Shawn's monograph to make sure I was fully understanding and with that, my sincerest apologies for asking, but with @kingfish254 and his 5 bar, though badged as Hawthorne, it has all the same characteristics outlined in this thread and the monograph, except it's badged Hawthorne, instead of Monark.

Is that the difference at that point?
Were the Hawthorne branded 5 bars that wrap under the BB not built by Monark?
Besides the first photo below, I see the dual down tubes wrapped around the BB on all frames, the exposed "lugs" on the head tubes and the exposed "lug" on the straightbar at the Seat tube. Obviously the forks differentiate between models, whether or not they had tanks matters too, and/or the rear suspension for that fact... but, momentarily casting that aside...

In the photos below are the last three photos essentially the same frame style made by Monark but badged differently?

Sorry, as I said, it's an amateur question, but that one point is confounding me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
judd

Pic 1: is Snyder built (correct)
Pic 2: Kingfish's 5 bar badged Hawthorne
Pic 3: 5 bar badged Hawthorne with the same qualities of a Monark - even the chain ring
Pic 4: 5 bar badged Monark from @rustjunkie shared ephemera

View attachment 1927397

View attachment 1927398

View attachment 1927399

View attachment 1927407

#1 Pic one is a CWC built Hawthorne Twin Bar
#2 Kingfish's bike is a Monark built Hawthorne Twin Bar
#3 That's my bike. '37 Monark built Hawthorne Twin Bar. I have the original Troxel Streamline saddle.
#4 Basically a Hawthorne Twin Bar tho spec'd a bit differently.

You might want to check out this thread which focuses on Snyder and CWC built Hawthorne Twin Bars. NOT tankless '39 Zep style frames.

Thread 'Non-monark Built Hawthorne Twin Bars (snyder/cwc Built)' https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/non-monark-built-hawthorne-twin-bars-snyder-cwc-built.90207/

#1 Pic one is a CWC built Hawthorne Twin Bar
#2 Kingfish's bike is a Monark built Hawthorne Twin Bar
#3 That's my bike. '37 Monark built Hawthorne Twin Bar. I have the original Troxel Streamline saddle.
#4 Basically a Hawthorne Twin Bar tho spec'd a bit differently.

You might want to check out this thread which focuses on Snyder and CWC built Hawthorne Twin Bars. NOT tankless '39 Zep style frames.

Thread 'Non-monark Built Hawthorne Twin Bars (snyder/cwc Built)' https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/non-monark-built-hawthorne-twin-bars-snyder-cwc-built.90207/
Sorry, I posted these questions in the 5 bar thread… it got moved here with no real context. I missed the straightbar of the Monark the first time and as soon as they called it out I realized the error. 🤷‍♂️ Too much time reading and not enough time spent observing. Been guilty of it a lot at times in my life.
Thank you for taking the time to read through my questions and provide some answers though — the knowledge sharing is always appreciated!

Back