When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark "Deluxe" Rocket Registry Project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Update, observation and question time. Yes, I am still very obsessed and intrigued by these bikes. Probably mainly because there is very little to no information available on them (or at least that I can find, and I am looking all the time). I enjoy the history and information hunt almost as much as the bikes themselves.

So, in the past several months I have found 2 more metal tank shielded bikes. Both of these are badged Monark Generals, or what some refer to as 5 Star Generals. That makes 3 versions known so far. Rocket, General, and Whites Super Chief.
The men's General is Model # 7 4260D and girl's 7 4261 or 4264, I'm not sure it's kinda rough. The previously found men's Rocket bikes were also model 4260's, but with no 7 in front, so I'm guessing the 7 might indicates the General. I still have no idea why some have a C or D or no letter after the 4260? And no surprise, they are both 1953's like all the rest.

Next mystery that neither one of these helps answer, is still what headlight came OG on these bikes? There has yet to be found a 100% complete bike. But from what I can gather, I am pretty sure that the Rocket version came with a Monark Pedestal light but mounted directly to the fender without the pedestal. A Delta Winner, Rocket Ray, and unknow middleweight era headlight have been seen on some of the other bikes.

Finally, for me the biggest mystery is still why there is no known/found catalog page or advertisement for these bikes. Monark was always very big on their advertising and promoting of their bikes. They always had very catchy names for their newest improvements and flashy accessories. “Air-Style” design Headlight with Brilliant “Road-Focus” Beam. “Silver-Wing” Fender Crest (Rocket Trim on Front Fender). “Kromegard” bumper & shock-proof (“Tombstone” Type) Rear Reflector. “Strato-Liner” Headlight with “Road Focus” beam (aka “Train Light”). “Air Wing” Head Shroud with Head Plate. “Protecto-Gard” tank crash rails.
1953 was obviously a big year for them to TRY new things to catch more of the market and compete with the competition. They introduced the new knee action fork, and obviously this bike with the new "Protecto-Gard Tanks Shields" would have been something they would have promoted the hell out of, so where are the ads? And yes, I just made up that name because it sounds like something they would have called it.

I hope to have pictures of the Generals coming soon!
This information you question and state can't be found does indeed exist, but you need to look in the right place. All MSK factory records were saved and have been preserved in National Bicycle History Archive of America. The hobby does not seem to know this fact. But it is a fact nonetheless. The Monark-Silver King, Inc. records are preserved but not DIY searchable.

Also your serial number information appears to be mistaken and mis-aligned.

Furthermore, model numbers for brands other than factory brands will never be the same as factory brands.

The "General" line was simply known as "General" and not "5 Star General." The stars in the logo graphic were not intended to be a name– any more than the arrow symbol in Pierce bicycles was intended to mean "Pierce-Arrow."

While MSK did loads of advertising, with such a huge number of bicycles and lines offered, it just was not possible to advertise them all. The company opted to do more generic advertising than model-specific ads. And they were already having financial issues.

Someone asked a question about "1953 SD" which I presume "SD" to mean "Super Deluxe." Please be aware that the top model in 1953 was no longer the Super Deluxe, but rather, the Holiday. Monark Holiday and Super Deluxe were two different models with two different appearances and equipment differences for 1953. The ad posted is for the Holiday, not the Super Deluxe.

Finally, the company that was the mainstay saddle maker for MSK after WWII went out of the bicycle saddle business. This happened rather suddenly. So their beautiful saddles ceased to exist. It was not merely a change of vendors but rather a cessation of production. And you cannot go by artwork in ads to always be faithful to what was actually factory-installed on MSK production products. I will tell you that as of 1953, saddles to the Holiday models were changed to Mesinger brand. However, some models were also equipped with Troxel saddles.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America
(NBHAA.com)

Last edited:
Well. you never know where another one will turn up. This one was right in my back yard, so to speak. A good friend clued me in that it was on Marketplace near me. A little rough, but only 20 mins away and the price was right. Missing the headlight (why are they always?) Seller said he got it from the original owner's grandson in Independence MO, and told him she got it for her 16th birthday in 1957. Should clean up nice!

20240406_144240.jpg

20240406_144311.jpg

Well. you never know where another one will turn up. This one was right in my back yard, so to speak. A good friend clued me in that it was on Marketplace near me. A little rough, but only 20 mins away and the price was right. Missing the headlight (why are they always?) Seller said he got it from the original owner's grandson in Independence MO, and told him she got it for her 16th birthday in 1957. Should clean up nice!

View attachment 2019287

View attachment 2019288
A nice survivor that ought to clean up. It is finished in original Monark color combination #62. It was also available in another factory color combination.

However, "1957" would have been rather long in the tooth for this bicycle. AND... even if it is true that the original owner received the bicycle a certain year, this does not translate to an original manufacture date. Nor to original model year.

Betting that it you turn this Rocket upside-down and photograph the serial and model numbers, you may be surprised at the actual result.

Headlights are often missing because:
1.) They broke easily
2.) Kids left old batteries in them that leaked (once a common thing) and corroded/rotted the headlight to being useless.
3.) People today think the headlights are novel or even "valuable" and thus remove them.

Of course, National Bicycle History Archive of America has the original catalogues and factory literature.

Leon Dixon
(NBHAA.com)

A nice survivor that ought to clean up. It is finished in original Monark color combination #62. It was also available in another factory color combination.

However, "1957" would have been rather long in the tooth for this bicycle. AND... even if it is true that the original owner received the bicycle a certain year, this does not translate to an original manufacture date. Nor to original model year.

Betting that it you turn this Rocket upside-down and photograph the serial and model numbers, you may be surprised at the actual result.

Headlights are often missing because:
1.) They broke easily
2.) Kids left old batteries in them that leaked (once a common thing) and corroded/rotted the headlight to being useless.
3.) People today think the headlights are novel or even "valuable" and thus remove them.

Of course, National Bicycle History Archive of America has the original catalogues and factory literature.

Leon Dixon
(NBHAA.com)
Thanks for the info Leon. I haven't looked at the Serial/model numbers yet, but if I were to guess, I'd say it is probably a 1953. Most likely the secondhand story either got the date she got it wrong, or she got a used bike for her birthday.

Back