When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark "Deluxe" Rocket Registry Project

-
Update, observation and question time. Yes, I am still very obsessed and intrigued by these bikes. Probably mainly because there is very little to no information available on them (or at least that I can find, and I am looking all the time). I enjoy the history and information hunt almost as much as the bikes themselves.

So, in the past several months I have found 2 more metal tank shielded bikes. Both of these are badged Monark Generals, or what some refer to as 5 Star Generals. That makes 3 versions known so far. Rocket, General, and Whites Super Chief.
The men's General is Model # 7 4260D and girl's 7 4261 or 4264, I'm not sure it's kinda rough. The previously found men's Rocket bikes were also model 4260's, but with no 7 in front, so I'm guessing the 7 might indicates the General. I still have no idea why some have a C or D or no letter after the 4260? And no surprise, they are both 1953's like all the rest.

Next mystery that neither one of these helps answer, is still what headlight came OG on these bikes? There has yet to be found a 100% complete bike. But from what I can gather, I am pretty sure that the Rocket version came with a Monark Pedestal light but mounted directly to the fender without the pedestal. A Delta Winner, Rocket Ray, and unknow middleweight era headlight have been seen on some of the other bikes.

Finally, for me the biggest mystery is still why there is no known/found catalog page or advertisement for these bikes. Monark was always very big on their advertising and promoting of their bikes. They always had very catchy names for their newest improvements and flashy accessories. “Air-Style” design Headlight with Brilliant “Road-Focus” Beam. “Silver-Wing” Fender Crest (Rocket Trim on Front Fender). “Kromegard” bumper & shock-proof (“Tombstone” Type) Rear Reflector. “Strato-Liner” Headlight with “Road Focus” beam (aka “Train Light”). “Air Wing” Head Shroud with Head Plate. “Protecto-Gard” tank crash rails.
1953 was obviously a big year for them to TRY new things to catch more of the market and compete with the competition. They introduced the new knee action fork, and obviously this bike with the new "Protecto-Gard Tanks Shields" would have been something they would have promoted the hell out of, so where are the ads? And yes, I just made up that name because it sounds like something they would have called it.

I hope to have pictures of the Generals coming soon!

Here is a before pictures from the previous owner of the latest 5 Star General to show up. It has several parts that don't look original to the bike, most obvious is the headlight, Super Deluxe style fork crown, seat, and grips. But it is the first mostly complete men's General badged shielded tank bike to surface. I hope to have more and better pictures once I get it reassembled.

Back together but still needs a few things to be more correct, they're always a work in progress.

7 mostly complete men's & 3 girls Shielded tank Rockets now accounted for.
I'm hoping to get the girls 5 Star General back together soon as the weather is warm enough for an OA bath.
If you know of any others let me know!

Marty, On the 53 S.D. I have a question on the seat. Is it a Lobdel or did they switch venders? Its a black one similar to the black one on your beautiful green Rocket.

Marty, On the 53 S.D. I have a question on the seat. Is it a Lobdel or did they switch venders? Its a black one similar to the black one on your beautiful green Rocket.
That is a very good question, that unfortunately I don't have the answer off the top of my head. I do know that I have 3 '53 Monarks that I believe are mostly original that all have the same seat. It is not the deep pan/single pan Lobdell Emory seat with the split crash rail that most of the earlier Super Deluxe have. It is a shallower pan, with a full wrap around crash rail. I will try to check tomorrow and see if I can find a manufacture stamp. On a quick ad check I also see what appears to be the same seat on this '53 Holiday. Will require more investigation.

20230115_221019.jpg

20230115_220954.jpg

20230115_221651.jpg

These seats seem to be Troxel's. I have 4 of them total on Monark bikes. After checking out several Monark ads and catalog pages it appears they started using them in 1953 on many of their bikes, but the ads also show Lobdel seats still being used as well, so I guess they didn't switch vendors, just added Troxel's.

I have been made aware of a couple more men's bikes in the last week or so. The first one showed up in some event pictures on the CABE from the Orange Circle ride in Orange, CA. I have no idea who the owner is or any other information on it. But it is definitely another White's Super Chief in Black & Red. This makes the 3rd Super Chief in CA I am aware of.

20230108_113110.jpg

The next one showed up on a Monark FB group and is a Rocket badged version. It appears to be in Ohio, and from what I can tell it does have several of the characteristics of the shrouded tank Rockets. The single spring fork and correct chain guard graphics, but it is missing the tank with the metal shields. I'm waiting on Model & Serial number to confirm if it is indeed one.

325584255_1238781763653987_211591441329689509_n.jpg

These seats seem to be Troxel's. I have 4 of them total on Monark bikes. After checking out several Monark ads and catalog pages it appears they started using them in 1953 on many of their bikes, but the ads also show Lobdel seats still being used as well, so I guess they didn't switch vendors, just added Troxel's.
Thank you! I had a feeling mine was a Troxel but it was not embossed on the cross brace or marked on the seat pan.

Back