When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Five Bar Four Bar Superframe 5 Bar 4 bar Thread

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Loop Tail

I picked up this '40 or '41 Monark 4 bar Airman loop tail over the weekend from my friend Tim (65rat). It's a bit crusty and it didn't come easy, I had to let go of my Swing bike in trade but now I have 4 of the Monark 4 bar - 5 bar models. The mens Airman Comet twin suspention 5 bar, a regular mens Monark 5 bar, both 39's with the pencil front fork. A 41 girls Monark regular 4 bar w/the later Monark fork, and now this loop tail Airman 4 bar. Now just need to get them restored..ouch!

DSC00670-1.jpg

DSC00672-1.jpg

Thanks for the post Marty. I plan on updating this thread this weekend. Hopefully next week sometime I will have my new Five Bar (original paint). I'm still riding the fence on what to do with my project though. I may just go ahead and do the resto since I have all the parts now. Just not sure I need two Five Bars. Of course if you ever want to cut loose of the full suspension bike I'll kick something out of the house to make room! Congrats on a nice find. I believe earlier in theis post I show a pic of my girls tank loop tail. These are pretty rare bikes--would like to see a boys version in the thread as well. V/r Shawn

"Superframe" Shawn,
This 6-hole skirted rack is from a Monark I believe and around the time of the 5-bars, 4-bars...is this correct on any of these models?
Chris
wf rack right.jpg
wf rack top.jpg
wf rack under.jpg

Hello, new to this site. I have a 5 bar I'm trying to restore and get info for. Does anyone know if these bikes were ever equipped with skip tooth sprockets from the factory?

Thanks,
Ed

Hello, new to this site. I have a 5 bar I'm trying to restore and get info for. Does anyone know if these bikes were ever equipped with skip tooth sprockets from the factory?

Thanks,
Ed

Hey Ed,
The answer to your question is no. All the Five/Four bars I have seen and the literature for these indicate 1/2 pitch chains. It sure would help if you could post a pic of your bike so I could see the frame to make sure we're talking about the same type of bike. Does yours have a Monark badge on it. What forks does it have? V/r Shawn

"Superframe" Shawn,
This 6-hole skirted rack is from a Monark I believe and around the time of the 5-bars, 4-bars...is this correct on any of these models?
Chris
View attachment 105966View attachment 105967View attachment 105968

Hey Chris,
I believe this rack was introduced about '41 and was used on most Monark models that year. Like it's predecessor I have seen it with both a reflector and with a canister taillight. The previous racks were the ubiquitous McCauley racks used on so many bikes of the era and I think this may be McCauley as well. Attached is a pic of a sweet '41 that Marc (eazywind) sold in April of this year--I believe this is the same rack. V/r Shawn

Monark41-01.jpg

Hi, here is the frame. It has a 1/2" pitch sprocket, which I believe is original, but I thought I saw a picture of one, I think a 1939 model with a skip tooth arrangement.

Attachments

• mon_sil1.jpg
    mon_sil1.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 296
Should it be possible to find a handlebar for my 5bar??

I like to buy a handlebar for my Monark 5bar, the one you can mount on two ways, the one with the crossbar, that have the same measurement as the bars itself.
Impossible???
Got my bike almost done, but the bars....
Was it an accecoire or standard......
Thanks.....
Tanno

I like to buy a handlebar for my Monark 5bar, the one you can mount on two ways, the one with the crossbar, that have the same measurement as the bars itself.
Impossible???
Got my bike almost done, but the bars....
Was it an accecoire or standard......
Thanks.....
Tanno

These bars were standard on some Five Bars but not all but for some reason seem to be pretty scarce. I do not know of any for sale at the moment and there are a few people, including myself, looking for a pair of these. There were actually a couple other bars used besides these to include the scout and long horn bars. The "can't slip" stem was on most Five Bars but not all and was used with all styles of handlebars. The bottom line unless you just have to have a set of these bars you could go with one of the others and probably be ok. Could you post a picture of your bike? That may give me a better idea of what you could use. V/r Shawn

1940 5 bar

Found this at a Fort Worth swap meet several years ago. Itsa 1940 I think. Serial number is on the LH rear drop out but can't read it---too full of paint, very small digits. Pics before & after restoration. Took a while to find the 2 piece stem & the bars to fit the stem.
MVC269S-1.jpg
CIMG0172-1.jpg
CIMG0173-1.jpg

Back