When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Five Bar Model GT495

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
So I have about four Five Bar project bikes and its time to get started. The first one out the gate is going to be this 1939 Model GT495 which is a dual headlight version. I have a girls loop tail Four Bar (1940) that has the same headlight set-up. The way I start a restoration is to assemble, adjust, and take the bike for a good long ride to make sure everything fits and performs like it should. I'll then take it apart do the body work and reassemble all the sheet metal just make sure everything is still good. Once I'm happy with the fit I'll do paint. The test fit also gives me the opportunity to find those parts I will have to be extremely careful with when assembling so as not to scratch new paint.

I have yet to buy a "restored" bike that didn't need several hours of work just to get in riding condition. I've seen everything from tweaked dropouts to no grease in the bearings. Unfortunately a lot of folks never intend to ride their prizes so function isn't a requirement for them. I ride everything I have and the girlfriend and I get into races every once in a while so these aren't man cave queens! My goal is to finish this one by the end of the year--but don't hold me to it! V/r Shawn

gt495 ad.JPG
gt495-1.JPG
gt495-2.JPG

gt495 ad.JPG

gt495-1.JPG

gt495-2.JPG

Great bike!

I will be watching with interest. Have you decided on a color? What color options would be accurate?

Reginald see the ad I posted. I will do mine white/black with red pins. The ad actually describes the reverse of this paint scheme but shows the one I will use. I have seen these bikes painted both ways (standard and reversed colors). V/r Shawn

Last edited:
So this project was stalled for quite a while for a number of reasons. One of the biggest things was doing the research. Luckily a few of these have surfaced and I was able to determine what was correct. I originally thought these had the same dual light setup as the later ('40) bikes but these have Delta Warners which were normally used as tail lights. Thanks to Jim @JAF/CO for making me some clear lenses. Also a big thanks to @Dave Stromberger for the tank stencils--made life a lot easier. Another was weather for painting--notice my hi-tech paint booth! A little more pin striping to do and this one goes together! V/r Shawn

DSC_0010 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0012 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0215 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0298 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1056 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1057 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1061 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1070 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1512 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1513 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1515 - Copy.JPG

DSC_1516 - Copy.JPG

cheers to doing the work in the trenches restoring rare bikes! Used to be common place
lately a rare occurrence.....
Plenty of rough rare bikes out there that should be given this degree of passion!
Can't wait to see the finished product

It looks great Shawn.
The painting racks look like they worked out well.
A restoration is so much more that a re plate and paint.
The education process is so interesting, that I encourage anybody to pick a project and go for it.
It won't be cheap and easy, but the results and rewards are priceless.
I too will be looking forward to seeing this one looking good and rolling again.

Back