eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mrg

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Ya, probably poor design on the whole frame, only a few survived, I have only seen 3 or 4 in 35 yrs. 3 owned by Cabers and 1 in the Evolution book , breaks & welds in other places on 1 or 2 of the others. the shims are FACTORY for this model so it takes normal cup with a shim and I want it OG so with shim, somebody probably took out the shim years ago and that's what started the ware problems.

Last edited:

rustjunkie

Staff member
This:

-tool-headtube-facing-tool-htr-1b-problem-s_2011-12-28_park_tool_htr-1b_planlauf_luftspalt_links.jpg

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/head-tube-reaming-and-facing

this:

1536699158625.jpeg

then this:

happy.gif

WetDogGraphix

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
When I hear layers, this is what I think..these came out of the head tube......
DSC_1321.JPG

I have several thicknesses of brass and ended up using .016". It now has a 1/32" lip.
DSC_1182.JPG

The fit was perfect, didn't slip right in, but also didn't have to pound it in. This worked for me.
DSC_1319.JPG

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. I'm more than happy to send you some strips to test......I bought a lot for my 2 shims.....

FSH

Finally riding a big boys bike
I make these shims for South Bend lathes. I think that I can roll a shim with a flange that is made out of the same material. The full thickness of the material is .032 with laminations that are .002 thick. Essentially the shims are glued together and peelable. The Idea is that you would get a one-size fits all shim.

Last edited:

mrg

I don't know the thickness's, that's why I'd like to just find the OG ones.

zedsn

I live for the CABE
I have a bunch of bearing cups. Can you digitally measure the thickness that you need and I will see if I have one that would work for you.

mrg

Thanks anyway, I have the OG bearing cups but some Monark's needed a shim to fit some frames especially the 5 bar & twin bar/speedster. 2 yrs and haven't found og shims, anyone parting out a old girls 4 bar with shims?

Last edited:

Superman1984

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Thanks anyway, I have the OG bearing cups but some Monark's needed a shim to fit some frames especially the 5 bar & twin bar/speedster. 2 yrs and haven't found og shims, anyone parting out a old girls 4 bar with shims?
Why not put a piece of pipe that fits snug around the cups that fits the frame tube tight & forget the shims? I mean ultimately you can grind & file it to fit tight. Using worn shims from another bike of the same design will ultimately yield the same problem if your actual head tube & frame are worn that badly

mrg

I have made shims and they work fine for now. most of the time it's not that they are worn out it's people ( kids ) just didn't bother to put them back in and that's where the excess wear on the frame comes in, from no shims so would still would like to find a OG set to put in and never have to worry about it again, I will never put enough miles or abuse on them to where them out.