When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark grip color question???

-

10~18kustoms

Wore out three sets of tires already!
So I recently acquired these green/blue Monark grips from a good friend. Until now I had mainly only seen about 80% Black, and a small percent of red, and white OG Monark grips on original bikes. These first appeared to be green, but after a good cleaning it appears they were more a blue originally that have faded to greenish on the outside. One pair seems a lighter blue and the other pair a little darker blue/green on the inside where they weren't subjected to UV and wear. I did find a color picture of a blue Firestone in the Evolution of the Bike book that appears to have blue grips. My question is, what all original colors were there of the Monark style grips??? Lets see some pictures of what you got!

20201113_152645.jpg

20201113_152625.jpg

20201112_170321.jpg

Can I make a suggestion of trying to clean them; use white toothpaste, some baking soda and or Gojo orange pumice with a soft wire brush to scrub them. I have a set of white ones & black ones that looked as bad as yours if not worse via grime & fading but the white ones look like new other than wear; cracking nicks scuffs etc. The black ones lost a lot of the fading but look more of a matte semi gloss. I would imagine for every known color of bike there may have been grips in that color or contrasting colors to match any 2 tone it had.

I suspect that these colored grips were introduced in the mid to late '50s. I have never seen colored grips on any prewar bikes. V/r Shawn

I suspect that these colored grips were introduced in the mid to late '50s. I have never seen colored grips on any prewar bikes. V/r Shawn
Yes Shawn, I would agree. The few I have seen on OG bikes are all on post war bikes. I have only seen red repops in the prewar style.

Back