When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Research

-
Monark bicycle’s never came with CWC chainrings, especially prewar. They only used their own skip tooth chainrings on early aluminum bikes. I certainly can’t vouch for the originality of that frame as it looks identical to a prewar ladies frame, upside down.
Here we go again! Now we've got Ex-sperts say Monark used CWC skippers!😉 You are correct as to the aluminum's, good info!

Last edited:
Monark bicycle’s never came with CWC chainrings, especially prewar. They only used their own skip tooth chainrings on early aluminum bikes. I certainly can’t vouch for the originality of that frame as it looks identical to a prewar ladies frame, upside down.
First, thanks for all of the replies. I'm new to this and learning a lot. I found this on another forum and other than it being a 26" and no short vertical bar?, it has the straight down tube and 2 curved top bars.
Here's what rms37 wrote about it..... "This bike is an uncommon variation of the Rocket model and is probably from approximately 1939/1940 when the Rockets with the more common straight down tube and straightbar tank frames were offered. I have a friend who has a bike with the same frame so while apparently not cataloged, they are out there in small numbers. Before the war Monark was adept at turning out every variation possible on any theme they had in production in steel."
I've also learned that 40 and 41 5 bar models have serial numbers on the left rear dropout along with identifying the brake arm as 38-41. So, I'm assuming it's a 40 or 41. But that vertical bar, a 24" and a skip tooth still eludes me. I've finally figured out (without anyone explaining) that a CWC chainring is a skip tooth and the teardrop design, (what I was comparing being the same) has nothing to do with it.

monark straight down tube.jpg

chainring.jpg

chainring2.jpg

Might want to start a new thread instead of posting on one from 2008?
Have a new one on this bike, but only a few responses and didn't get an answer to a question I asked.. This thread also asked a question that wasn't answered originally. So, I asked if they ever found the answer. That's why I reopened it and I got more info in this post than my new one. Go figure.

Back