When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Roadster dating

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Cranky Chain Cycles

Finally riding a big boys bike
Searches using the model and serial number have come up empty. I figure it's a late 50s model, possibly '57. Other threads suggest confusion about the serial numbers. So far the only missing or incorrect items are the torch, reflector, tires and the Schwinn grips. Where's a good place to find replacement light bulbs?

IMG_2357.jpeg

IMG_2365.jpeg

IMG_2364.jpeg

Searches using the model and serial number have come up empty. I figure it's a late 50s model, possibly '57. Other threads suggest confusion about the serial numbers. So far the only missing or incorrect items are the torch, reflector, tires and the Schwinn grips. Where's a good place to find replacement light bulbs?

View attachment 1822334

View attachment 1822335

View attachment 1822336
Kinda hard to read the serial (?) number. Can you post it ?
Schwinn grips?

You can search the internet and DIY sites until the cows come home. But you will never find the accurate serial number info for this Monark bicycle. And trying to figure this one out by using Western Auto lists that were never intended for this purpose will merely lead you on a merry chase. No matter what today's experts will tell you.

We took the time and effort to gather and preserve the correct factory information 50 years ago. Your Monark was indeed made in 1957. The original grips (should be white) and headlight have been changed. Original tires were middleweight 26 x 1.75 size.

Hope this helps.

Leon Dixon
National Bicycle History Archive of America

Last edited:
You can search the internet and DIY sites until the cows come home. But you will never find the accurate serial number info for this Monark bicycle. And trying to figure this one out by using Western Auto lists that were never intended for this purpose will merely lead you on a merry chase. No matter what today's experts will tell you.

We took the time and effort to gather and preserve the correct factory information 50 years ago. Your Monark was indeed made in 1957. The original grips (should be white) and headlight have been changed.

Hope this helps.

Leon Dixon
Leon,

Thanks so much. Hopefully our paths cross at some point, meeting the 'King of the Classics' is on my bucket list. Do you still have the 1936 Dayton Safety Streamline?

Hello...

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, Bicycling magazine did indeed call me "King of the Classics" in an article they published on me and my collection about 30 years ago... nice to be remembered.

As for my 1936 Dayton Safety Streamline, you bet I've still got it. It has always been a prized possession. There are a lot of folks into Daytons/Huffmans today... but back in the 1960s-70s, it was rare to meet anyone who even cared. If it wasn't a Schwinn, they wouldn't give you the time of day if they were wearing 50 watches! Most people who claimed they liked old bicycles back then made fun of my Huffmans and Daytons when I hauled them out to show. All anyone wanted in the 1970s was what people were calling Schwinn "fan-thums." As incredible as that may seem today.

• The first photo here was taken by either CBS-TV (I was featured on a show with Star Trek's "Chekov" –Walter Koenig) or by a newspaper. This was about 1981-82. The caption may seem extreme to say today... but it was certainly true when the photo was taken. Note the Bowden Spacelander, Schwinn Black Phantom (I was first to restore one) and Schwinn neon sign. Sharp eyes will see a NOS Firestone, NOS Elgin, and Elgin Twin-60 (prior to restoration) and a first-series Monark Super-Twin.

• Next, here is my Safety-Streamline in more recent times... meaning about 15 years ago...

• Next... here are just some of the piles of Huffman Super-Streamline frames and bicycles I had in the 1970s-1980s. Couldn't give them away back then! People even made fun of them. Now... there are folks who can't believe I had so many. At one time, most of these that were in the hands of collectors around the country originally came from me. And I had all of the literature to go with them too!

Again, thanks for remembering.

Leon Dixon
(NBHAA.com)

LEONonDayton2WM copy.jpg

Leon'sDaytonHiggins 2 copyWM.jpeg

LeezHuffmans00WM.jpg

Leon,

Thanks so much. Hopefully our paths cross at some point, meeting the 'King of the Classics' is on my bucket list. Do you still have the 1936 Dayton Safety Streamline?
Since you mentioned it, here is the article from Bicycling magazine published in 1991...

Again, thanks for remembering.

Leon Dixon
NBHAA.com

KingOfClassics.JPG

Back