When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Rocket

-
In my (outa this?) world, if that tank is solid ( can only see one side of the bike), that bike is a $500.00- $600.00 unit easy ( with all due respect Chris). It looks pretty straight, deep fenders, lots of original parts, rims look good/may clean up nicely. More pics would help/both sides, badge, inside tank...... Even that rack looks like an easy fix to straighten. If you have Dealers license and apply your 2% net, you can roll this baby home for a reasonable $23.27!! Even that Timothy Leary paint job would look sweet riding the outskirts of Woodstock!

It's Reggie approved!!

Background​

ara-66c4483b-ee42-47cc-bb8c-0aeecf656ce-resize-750.jpg

Reggie McNamara grew up in the Australian countryside, the son of a sheep rancher. A snake bit him on a finger when he was 12 and hunting rabbits with his brother. He and his brother chopped off the finger with an axe. He and his 13 brothers and sisters learned to ride on the same bicycle. He began racing for money in local fairs around Sydney, shooting kangaroos and selling their skins to raise the entry fee. Some reports say he was 14, others 16.

He won his first race, over a mile and a half on a dirt track, and travelled across Australia and New Zealand to wherever he could find races. He won the Sydney six-day race at the start of 1913 and caught the eye of Alf Goullet, an Australian international who had been asked to find two good Australians to race in Newark, New Jersey, United States. Goullet signed just McNamara, telling the historian Peter Nye that McNamara was worth any two other riders.

International career​

McNamara went to the USA and took American nationality when he married an Irish nurse, Elizabeth McDonough in 1913, whom he had met after breaking a leg during his first training ride. They had two daughters, Eileen and Regina. McNamara set five world records from one to 25 miles at Newark velodrome in 1915, 1916 and 1917. He won seven six-day races at Madison Square Garden in New York between 1918 and 1932, another five at the Chicago Coliseum and other six-day races in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany and England. He won the 1932 Madison Square Garden six-day at the age of 45. His winnings up to 1933 reached the modern equivalent of at least A$2 000 000. McNamara was known for spectacular crashes on the steep wooden tracks. He crashed up to 20 times in some sixes.

An American newspaper reported:

To undergo a serious operation on the fourth day of a six-day race and then finish the contest and run third, less than a wheel's length behind the winner, is going some. But that is what Reggie McNamara did and he did it against the advice of doctors, his family and the rider who was his mate in the race. So often has this fellow pulled through tight places solely on his nerve he has been dubbed the "Iron Man" of cycling.

Last edited:
I stand corrected on the truss rods, My pre wars have either the springers or the pull back truss rods. Thanks, learn something new every day.

As far as pricing, when I stated 200-250, That's where your offer should start, they'll be lots of work that needs to go into this one, we all know that. Plus no telling what you will find as you dig deeper into the bike!

Last edited:
Definitely a 40-41 with those truss rods. But most likely a 41 with that headlight. I have owned 4 off those style pre-war Rockets, 2 with that fork and struts & 2 with that headlight, all were 40-41. Serial numbers at that time were kinda randomly located and very small numbers, but usually found on the left rear dropout.
In my opinion, the bike as is, I'd be comfortable paying in the $250-350 range considering the amount of work needed and the fact that it was house painted. If it was not repainted and had descent OG paint it would easily be $500-750.

Definitely a 40-41 with those truss rods. But most likely a 41 with that headlight. I have owned 4 off those style pre-war Rockets, 2 with that fork and struts & 2 with that headlight, all were 40-41. Serial numbers at that time were kinda randomly located and very small numbers, but usually found on the left rear dropout.
In my opinion, the bike as is, I'd be comfortable paying in the $250-350 range considering the amount of work needed and the fact that it was house painted. If it was not repainted and had descent OG paint it would easily be $500-750.

Thanks Marty, those truss rods must have been used in 46 and 47 as well. Ads like this are what caused me to think they had been replaced.

Back