When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark serial numbers

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Odd to see a fork bent that way normally they are bent the other direction. V/r Shawn
Shawn, you're saying most of the forks are bent backwards from crashes? Wouldn't surprise me really. They can bend forward if ridden off a dropoff with very low tire pressure in front. Even the fork that's part of the second "bike" is the same. Sits forward. So based on the info I initially posted last month and restated today, this is a 1946 but the tank is horn button is located correctly/incorrectly?

Shawn, you're saying most of the forks are bent backwards from crashes? Wouldn't surprise me really. They can bend forward if ridden off a dropoff with very low tire pressure in front. Even the fork that's part of the second "bike" is the same. Sits forward. So based on the info I initially posted last month and restated today, this is a 1946 but the tank is horn button is located correctly/incorrectly?
I just googled 1946 Monark bicycle to look at images of multiple bikes. Some, the forks are straight inline with the heat tube and some are a bit forward. If these are "bent" then they can be fixed. There's a tool for it I can access but I'm not going to pout time into that for the client. Their budget isn't big enough for me to do that. $350 to clean things up, do some investigative and id work and make a list of needs and what's missing.

I'm not sure about other bikes with the forks leaning forward but these should always be in line with the head tube. The web is great but a good library is even better. Some confusion exists with Monark numbers. There is the Polizzi list and the one offered through ABC services which puts this at '47. The attached ad from the revised Polizzi book is from August '47. This bike looks dead original (except for the crank & chain ring which may have been damaged in that horrific crash!)--including the desirable 'snake belly' tires. So if you have the stem and bar you are missing seat, light, and rack. V/r Shawn

DSC_0938.JPG

I'm not sure about other bikes with the forks leaning forward but these should always be in line with the head tube. The web is great but a good library is even better. Some confusion exists with Monark numbers. There is the Polizzi list and the one offered through ABC services which puts this at '47. The attached ad from the revised Polizzi book is from August '47. This bike looks dead original (except for the crank & chain ring which may have been damaged in that horrific crash!)--including the desirable 'snake belly' tires. So if you have the stem and bar you are missing seat, light, and rack. V/r Shawn

View attachment 768198
Shawn, thanks for the update. You reference a horrific crash. What horrific crash? If this refers to the fork alignment, I would consider that coming from a horrific crash by any means. I spent nearly 30 working as a pro race mechanic and I can tell you about many horrific crashes. In my previous post about a bike of this type or any type for that matter, dropping off a "ledge" with way too low of air pressure allowing the front end bend forward, I can see this happening. It's an easily fixed issue though I'm not going to take the time to do it as also noted in the previous post. Oh, there's a set of cranks in the box that are bent. So in hindsight, putting two and two together, I think someone jumped the bike. The parts box has another dog leg crank, skip tooth chainwheel, 1/2 x 1/8 chainwheel, and bb. I do have the bar/stem but hope you can answer a question about the stem. I know the stem type(shape) is quite common on ballooners but it's missing the clamping bolt. I went to a fastener supplier and good hardware store and apparently the bolt size is unique. Do you know it's size or is it hard to find? Thx

View attachment 768198
One other thing, all the "Deluxe" models I've seen in google images show the name "deluxe" and this doesn't. Is this a Deluxe or ??

View attachment 768198
Found something interesting posted by oldfart36 from last August 12. Shows same bike w/o original tires, pedals, missing fender strut, front light. Crankarm....dog leg type.

Same question; Different bike. Year and Model, maybe a photo of an original.
Monarch Rocket badged frame.
Serial: A 183113 Model: 2260 These on an aluminum tag on the bottom bracket.
Thanks, Steve

Thanks to Wildcat at Rat Rod Bikes for his posting in 2017:

Monarch Frame Identified
Thanks to
List for Monark serial numbers

Monark #s prior to 1941 #s deeply punched under crank housing.

3600 or under....1934
3601 to 8100.....35
8101 to 9126.....36
9127 to 11019....37
11020 to 30000....?
30001 to 46001....38
46001 to 62000...39
62001 to 79000....40
79001 to 100761....41
100762 to 112911...42
112911 to 118000....?
#s on aluminum tag : starting in 1946
118106 to 286500....1946
286521 to 429919.....47
429920 to 539000.....48
539001 to 737063..... 49
737064 to 827982.....50
827983 to 950701.....51
950702 to 1387335.....52
1387524 to 1762369....53
1762370 to 1911106...54

1946 -47: horn button is on left side of tank
1948-49-50: button on right side
1951- 52-53-54- small button on top right of tank

1946-49 pedestal light
1950 .....train light

beginning 1953 single horizontal springer.

Monark was bought by Huffy around 58. They stopped using the aluminum tag for serial numbers at the end of 1954. Between 1955 and when the frames were made by Huffy in 58-60 the serial numbers aren't listed anywhere that I can find. Huffy bikes had the H at the beginning but the early Huffy made Monarks before 1960 may not have. Maybe not until the Huffy chain rings replaced the Monark style chain ring.

I'm still on the hunt for more info on Monarks.

Back