When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Silver King

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chitown

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Just researching my latest purchase and found the patent for the silver kings weldless construction. Even the Patents looked cooler back then. Lug pieces were bored 1/1000th to 10/1000ths of an inch smaller than the tubing. Before assembly the lugs were put in an oil bath of 300 degrees while the tubes were cooled in dry ice. Then "expeditiously assembled". Poor thing was encrusted in black metal flake paint (including the rims). Handlebars and stem were definitely not original. I had no idea what I had until I was taking it apart and realized it was aluminum. I'm wondering about how much variation there was in models as far as accessories and extras. And how to find more on this model I have. I'll post more pics later to show what parts I do have.

Looks like it may be a 36. Probably came with raingutter style shorty stainless fenders, hanging dropstand off of the rear fender, smalller round rear jeweled reflector, aluminum bars and truss rods, Delta Silver Ray light and Delta battery tube.

Well this is my 1st restoration attempt and I'm realizing the depth of knowledge and possibly wallet it takes to do it right. Got me thinking if I should restore or refurbish at this point. Either way I'm super happy with the frame alone. Wondering what kind of budget I should set before I just give up and put my phil wood hubs laced on some brand new sun rims with DT spokes from my Bontrager bmx bike on it just to get to ride it before summer ends. But I suppose I would rather do the frame justice and get her running in as close condition as she was in '36.

View attachment 10430View attachment 10431

Last edited:
yes triple drop centers are correct and they should be 24" wheels, not 26".
Rear hub would be a New Departure Model D i believe if you want to restore her close to original. Have fun!

your silver king is a 1935 model. 1936 on have the different head badge. the ad on the left is how your bike should look. the rims are 24" lobdel straight side rims. the hardest part to find will be the chainguard. it has a flat face with a step on the top edge. i have a complete 1936 i restored, which is the ad on the right bottom. jerry peters of "chesnut hallow" in michigan may be able to help you, but they are expensive. their number is: (810) 798-3158.

From what I've read (mostly on this board) the '35 had window cut-outs on the lugs. Is it possible that different models from the same year had different head badges? I thought I read that there were 8 models produced that year. Is there anyone with a full catalog from those years?

I'm definitely looking to getting her back to at least close to the way she once was. What started as a friend saying "hey, you have lots of bikes, wanna buy my old beater for $20 bucks?" has turned into a beast of it's own. Hope I have the patience and $ to see it through. The oldest bike I had up to now was my '86 Miyata six-ten. I bought this bike only a few miles from where the original Monark factory was in Chicago (on Grand Ave). Even though I got her as a Frankenbike of mixed parts, I'm glad it never made it to the scrap heap, which there are several in that area.

Back