When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Silver King

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have a correct rear wheel for your bike if you are interested. It is a 24" triple drop rim, 36 holes and has a prewar New Departure hub. I also may have some of the truss rod stuff.
Let me know if you are interested. You can send me a PM or an email at [email protected]

that rear tire is interesting...is that a Carlisle? I've never seen that tread pattern before on the Carlisle Lightening Dart tires (Indian Heads)

that rear tire is interesting...is that a Carlisle? I've never seen that tread pattern before on the Carlisle Lightening Dart tires (Indian Heads)

Yes, Carlisle Tire and Rubber Div. But it only says "Lightning" and not "Dart". Maybe there were different types of Lightning tires?

Here's the Kelly Front:

View attachment 11650

lights

removed the paint from the front light.

Seiss Mfg Co
Toledo, Ohio
Made in U.S.A.

View attachment 11667

here is rear:

View attachment 11668

Front fender has 2 holes. One large (for power cable) and one to attach light to fender. So front light definitely isn't the same as the photo. Does the old photo look like it has a Delta light? The mounting is more flanged than the Seiss model. But is more torpedo shaped than the other lights I've seen on Silver Kings of that era.

btw that front New Departure wheel spins as good as my modern Phil Wood. Just keeps spinning.

Looking close at the pic dated '38 View attachment 12568and the fact that there were marks on the down tube that showed a battery mounted on it at one time I'm thinking it originally had one of these bad ass Delta horn-light combos. The only other one I've seen like it is on the Wingbar for sale on ebay right now View attachment 12569
Until I found the patent on google.
View attachment 12567
I'm thinking the Siess (flashlight style) light is a later addition, that's the one I've got. The fact that there is a mark on the front fender
that has the shape of a light mount and the larger hole for the wires leads me to believe this. View attachment 12570
I am also now thinking that both bikes I have are 1937 models. Serial #'s are shown as "unknown" in John Polizzi 's Monark book. But falls in between known 37-38 models. I also think the aluminum fenders were original to the bike.

Now all I have to do is find a Delta torpedo horn light and mount and battery tube and I should be ready to start restoring the rest. I'm pretty sure I'll have to re-chrome; bars, stand, seat-post,& rims. Those fenders are going to be tricky. I saw the Fender Doctor (WES PINCHOT) at the latest Chicago bike show and he wasn't too excited to take them on. He told me the fact that they are aluminum (soft) and very deep dish meant he would have to build a mandrel custom for it to roll them properly, built of maple no less. (btw it's pretty scary to have the Fender Doctor tell you he won't operate)

This is rendered by me in photochop from the patent drawing:

View attachment 12566

feedback very appreciated

Back