When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Silver King

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have started wet sanding the frame with 320-800 grit and 0000 steel wool with some fine grit wax I have for polishing. Some spots need more sanding where the deeper scratches are but keep in mind this bike was being ridden when I got her probably was ridden most of those 74 years and it shows. Luckily no dents though... amazing enough. I'm looking at building her up as a "standard model" without the lights and chain guard. Budget for now. Upgrade later.

But that still leaves me with a good enough list as follows, to my understanding of keeping her close to original:

triple step chrome rims
New Departure Hubs ("D" model rear)
aluminum bars and truss rod
Seat: ? (insert suggestions)
hanging dropstand
raingutter style shorty stainless fenders

Advice and input appreciated

Looks to me like I can get the rims and hubs fairly easily but I have had limited hits on the others. This could be because I do not know how & where to look maybe?

suggestions

For my M1 project I used a Mesinger B600 Long Spring saddle.
For the front hub New Departure Model W came on my bike.
For stem i used a Torrington deco stem but I have seen wald #3 stems on silver kings also...really just your preference and how much $ you want to sink into it. Try calling Memory Lane for some of the other stuff you are looking for.

And for cleaning up the aluminum I've been using this stuff...good results thus far.

http://www.gordsaluminumpolish.com/

I removed everything including the headbadge before starting the detail cleaning.
Good luck.

Not all...deluxe bikes were often equipped with 1/2 pitch and I have seen Silverkings (my 37 for instance) with 1/2 x 1/8 wide chains where skip tooth chains are 3/16 wide

wow. that would help if I had an original front sprocket at least. That leads me to the rear sprocket. I have seen some New Departure "Model D" hubs that said they were pre-war but didn't appear to be skip tooth type. I assumed the sprocket had been added to an older hub.

Rule numbers 1-25 when dealing with old bicycles, assuming will cost you $$$, time and missed opportunities...also applies to women, cars, ornamental landscaping, psychology, and anything to do with Vegas baby...

Looks to me like I can get the rims and hubs fairly easily but I have had limited hits on the others. This could be because I do not know how & where to look maybe?
It depends on how "correct" you want it. Triple drop 24" rims are medium hard to come by, but those are 28 spoke rims mostly. The correct 36 hole rims aren't so easy, but not impossible. The correct rear hub is a lot harder to find. Unless you really know ND hubs, nobody will notice if you use a postwar shell. The thing that is most obvious is the brake arm, which will fit and model D. The correct hub is a wide outer flange shell and the small brake arm with the "New Departure Model D" script(pre '37), not the later small arm with the "New Departure Brake" script.
('37-39ish)

I'm rebuilding my existing Bendix until I can find the right ND. But I hear you on "correctness". I'll be happy if I can get the right decade 1st. Thanks for the info.

Taking the silver paint off the cranks and sprocket revealed decent chrome. Pretty happy about that.

View attachment 10823

I was lucky enough to borrow a copy of John Polizzi's Monark Book. The local bike shop owner has a '37 and was kind enough in loaning it (the book) out for a few days. It really is a great resource. I've been looking through all the ads and catalog pages that he compiled. I'm thinking the '35 M2 model most closely matches what I've got. The front fork and truss rods match as do the front sprocket, frame and seat post as well.

The catalog lists:
1/2x1/8 diamond twin roller chain
Troxel No 43 saddle in black enamel finish
24" 36 hole, rims-straight side steel chrome
Tail Light- Standard 1 5/8" diameter flat reflector type.
Handlebar- Boy Scout type aluminum

What I found interesting was the coaster brake listed " Any make as desired by you. Unless specified in your order, we shall use our option, depending upon conditions of our stock at time of receiving your order." And in an earlier ad from '35 it says options for the rear brake hub as; Musselman, Morrow or New Departure.

Here is the link I found to the patent: http://www.google.com/patents?id=ysp4AAAAEBAJ&printsec=drawing&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Back