When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Super Cruiser-features by year

-
Ok Monark guys what can you tell me about this Monark Firestone. Original paint called Chromatic Fuchsia. Maybe 1955-57? Value? Rarity?View attachment 1275615
}
’55-‘57 is on target. It’s tough to pinpoint from the pics. It’s obviously had some parts replaced. It’s pretty rare. I’m not solid on the value because those parts will be hard to find. Great bike though. Here is a catalog pic from ‘55. Grab a Monark book when you get a chance, they are worth it.

Reactions: JLF
Bought a 56 black phantom. No locking fork. New repop pedals. Original seat, paint, tank, forks, rack. I think good price $850. Also bought the ugly Monark, not sure why, $400 and he is getting the OG chainguard

Need to take blue paint off of the rear fender of the purple bike. Any suggestions? Trying to save old purple paint.

I picked this 1953 (by the serial) up a couple of weeks ago and as you can see, it's rough, tank rusted out from corroded batteries, bent rear rack and fender, replaced chain guard, missing train light, etc. But it looks like there's more chrome left than you would expect on the rims so it will at least clean up and make a good rider. But I have a couple of questions for the Monark experts. What is the stud on the down tube just under the head stock? My first guess was a mount for a rubber bump stop for the forks, but if that's what it is, has anybody got a good close-up? I see the stud in @Monarkman's last picture above, but if there was ever a rubber bumper it's long gone. Second, this bike came with a heavy duty wheel set, with a Union hub up front and a Bendix red band in the rear. Was this an option or somebody's later addition?

IMG_4160.JPG

IMG_4167.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4155.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

Forgot to mention

the stud is to protect the fork from denting tank, it’s kind of a stop.

as far as wheels none of the Monarks I’ve ever owned had the hubs/wheels you mentioned.

There were some still made in 53 with the Stud still on them (left over from 52). The stud was for the springers so not to hit tank. Yours having the Knee action in 53, it really didn't have a function, as you can tell.

Last edited:
I apologize for so many posts having issues with phone.

Of the 3 1953’s I’ve owned I don’t believe they had the stud. I believe the stud was for the dual spring fork style. I’ve had several Monarks with original paint that had mismatched parts on them . For example, I had another bike just like the Gumby green one pictured, I think it was a 1950, ( with the big deep fenders) only problem is, it had what looked like a 49’ fender on the rear, same paint, pinstripes and patina. After inquiring about this, several collectors told me that this did occur due to someone at factory installing incorrect part.
It appears that your frame is pre 53’

Last edited:
Back