When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Superframe

-
Hey Shawn,
I should have been more clear... The seat post is a smaller diameter and has a small piece of metal literally jammed into the seat tube to keep it in place.

Hey Shawn,
I should have been more clear... The seat post is a smaller diameter and has a small piece of metal literally jammed into the seat tube to keep it in place.

a 1939 ladies Monark I had used a shim:

20140308_036JPG-1.jpg

Thanks Nick. Unfortunately I don't have a better pic handy to clarify. Mine is currently secured with what I truly believe to be an old "square cut nail" which has been jammed in on one side.

Got it but if you had the shim it would take up the slack and you wouldn't need the nail! V/r Shawn

Good point.
If I didn't have a 105 degree fever right now I would drive over to my dad's shop and try to confirm the originality of current set-up. With enough medication I will do it tomorrow for sure. Would love to learn that this is original post as it will be one less part i'll need to find.

On that note...anyone have a "can't slip" stem they want to part with???

many thanks again to those who have replied with great info!
-mike.

Good point.
If I didn't have a 105 degree fever right now I would drive over to my dad's shop and try to confirm the originality of current set-up. With enough medication I will do it tomorrow for sure. Would love to learn that this is original post as it will be one less part i'll need to find.

On that note...anyone have a "can't slip" stem they want to part with???

many thanks again to those who have replied with great info!
-mike.

Whoa Mike--don't check out before you will me that bike! Seriously hope you get well soon and really look forward to seeing more pics of this bike. V/r Shawn

Thanks for the well wishes Shawn. Unfortunately it truly belongs to my 70 yr. old dad and I'm expecting that he will leave it to me you see!

-mike.

WOW! I hope some day I'm lucky enough to come across something like this. Very nice!

Hello there good folks. I'm new to this forum and it's my pleasure to share with you a new project which I will be undertaking.
I'm a long time bike nut, but this will be my first prewar project. I have learned a tremendous amount about my new ride from the incredible article(s) posted here and looking forward to insights from this groups vast knowledge of this bike.
My dad got this baby from a small airport in upstate New York which was being cleared out for new owners. Supposedly the former owner was still riding it around the airport as of only a few years ago. No one thought that the bike had much value based on its condition (and assumption that it was from the 50's) so they let him have it. Not knowing much more about it, my dad could see that it was cool as hell and gladly took it home.
When he first showed it to me I had to do some research, but quickly came to the conclusion that it was a prewar Monark, and I believe a somewhat rare 1939 model with all the "bells and whistles".

Hoping to find an original Troxel seat & post (also will need grips and tires) to get her back to riding condition for my dad to enjoy cruising the boardwalk.
Thanks much for any insights.

-Dangerwagon

Back