When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monark Wheel Problem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RJames

On Training Wheels
I have a restored 1950 Monark Super Deluxe 26" men's bike, that so far I've been unable to ride. My problem is the wheels don't seem to be compatible with any 26 x 2.125 tires. I've tried two sets, the tires are too large in diameter (or the rims are too small) for the tires to be installed correctly. I know I have the original Monark rims, which seem rather flimsy. If I inflate at all the tires are unable to seat and they slip off. Do I need to replace the rims with an aftermarket drop center rim? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. -RJames

I have a restored 1950 Monark Super Deluxe 26" men's bike, that so far I've been unable to ride. My problem is the wheels don't seem to be compatible with any 26 x 2.125 tires. I've tried two sets, the tires are too large in diameter (or the rims are too small) for the tires to be installed correctly. I know I have the original Monark rims, which seem rather flimsy. If I inflate at all the tires are unable to seat and they slip off. Do I need to replace the rims with an aftermarket drop center rim? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. -RJames
Pictures always help...
And welcome....

Something is goofy. Are you sure rim is 26. If tires have 559 on sidewall, should fit, otherwise your rim is too small, maybe 24". If possible post pics of tire numbers on sidewall and entire wheel.

Being that 559 / 26 inch tires are the SMALLEST diameter of the 26 inch variations

And you are having problems keeping your tires mounted on the wheel ....

Then, it is most likely that your wheels are actually 24 inch ....of which there are about 5 different diameters ( 24 inch, that is )

If the above scenario is correct, then what you have is a 24 inch bicycle ....or, you have a 26 inch bicycle that at some time in the past had some version of 24 inch wheels / tires 'married' to it

Your mention of the rims being 'flimsy' may point in the direction of your wheels perhaps being 24 x 1-1/4 ( or equivalent )

By flimsy, do you mean 'narrow' ?

Any markings on your rims ?

Back