When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monkey Wards Girls

-

Shawn

Look Ma, No Hands!
Spent some time looking around on here and searching Google images but have yet to definitively pin down the year of this old girl. Haven't actually found an image of this exact model. Certainly didn't need another bicycle but for fifty bucks I fell for it. My guess is early 50's due to certain parts resembling the CWC built Western Flyer Super and Hiawatha ? Anyone familiar with this model ? She's no prize but I reckon my daughter and I can make her into something better. Thank you in advance for any info.
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1398.JPG
IMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG
IMG_1401.JPG

For 50 bucks , that's a nice score. Even at swap meet bargain prices, there is at least 350 in parts on that bike. Nice peaked fenders 50...script pedals 40...skirt-guards 40...springer 60...rack/ w taillight 100...chain guard 30..... a little bit more if you sold on line. With that broken frame,. I'd find a boys frame, cut down that springer and swap the parts. Boys frames for that bike are common, and go for about 50 bucks.

MW called the boys version of this bike the "All American". Typically the deluxe Hawthornes were just called "DeLuxe Tank Bike". I'm guessing bike is '51 or '52 but I'm sure someone will weigh in to nail it down. V/r Shawn

Thank you for the quick replies and advice, appreciate it :) Figured it had been taken off some sweet jumps when I saw the lower downtube to bottom barrel joint separation. A little time with the torch and some grinding should mend that joint if we decide to. Fixed up a Western Flyer Super boys frame by brazing over a hideous weld attempt by someone before me. The radius look wasn't original but better than blobs and holes. Daughter already mentioned moving all the parts over to a prewar (we believe?) Roadmaster "garden bike" we got off Craigslist for thirty bucks. It's got the drop stand dog ears and rear facing dropouts. She's also got a hornless tank for it. Time will tell ?
frp4.png
frp8.png
1.png
4.png

Note the "Cw" stamp at the side of the BB. This series started in '48 -9ish. That badge was new for '50, so I reckon it's a '50 model, built in '49. The ACw series started in '50, going to the year based 52Cw in '52.

Note the "Cw" stamp at the side of the BB. This series started in '48 -9ish. That badge was new for '50, so I reckon it's a '50 model, built in '49. The ACw series started in '50, going to the year based 52Cw in '52.

Nice brazing job. That's the way it should be done! We see so many terrible repairs here on the Cabe where "so called welders" think they can arc weld over anything and get away with it. Nice to see it done right.

Back