When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Colson doings, and a question.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This is where I started. I don’t believe the bike has been ridden for several decades.
Until last night.
Ted

241DBD29-8B7F-4825-A285-CCE4D19F4182.jpeg

30B9A5A1-0D0A-4C85-B7D0-8F104B718E02.jpeg

I believe that Colson truss rods might have normally been solid (not hollow), with external threads on top, interfacing with acorn nuts (not screws). I have also seen another variant with a tighter bend, perhaps used with a lower fork crown offset brace.

Some have posted that Colson’s original paint apparently was not very good. I have had 3 Colsons, in worser shape, media blasted, and then I painted 1-black, 1-red, and 1-burgundy, just because those were about the same colors that they were before, and I lack the ability to think of anything different.

And then I also ride a couple of Colson bikes with somebody else’s old amateur re-paint. One may select projects to refurbish some day, or those to ride today.

Last edited:
Both sets I have are solid, and threaded for nuts on top. Although the radius of the bend is different, both sets end up in exactly the same place at the axle and in the bracket on top.

I’m thinking pre-war, there really was no such thing as “good” paint, not as we know it today. 80 years in, as on this bike, was likely longer than the manufacturer was planning on the bike being around. The paint was “good enough”.

I took the bike for a ride around the block, yesterday. Odd, but, the neighbors who noticed all seem to think it is very interesting as is. I think it stands out more, as is, than a brand new bike would.

I will ride and tinker with it some more. There are other bikes, here, and I have time to think about what to do, As is, it is pretty attractive, and, useful.

Thanks.
Ted

Really nice bike. Ride it for a bit and enjoy the work you put in to get it rolling. But I'd say if it were mine that based on the chrome/"shiny" bits, and that super clean saddle, that the bike would look great in maroon..... not too glossy though as the paint used back then was not super glossy. Then the delta winner light really wouldn't match so it would need cleaned and repainted or just replaced with a nicer example but it seems like these are both acceptable options (to me anyways) . Enjoy!

I can throw that Delta light in the glass bead cabinet, paint it any color of the rainbow, and have it looking about like new in an afternoon, or, two. It actually works. Same with the fenders, chain guard, frame, and rack. I can strip the rims and color match them at the same time.
But, should I? restored is cool, but, so is unrestored, cleaned up, and serviced.
I have to think about that.

Hey, I did one bike restoration. It was a lot of work, but, it is mostly worth it.
Pics. 1959 Schwinn Tiger.

I think I would ride it more if it was unrestored.

2A94E052-5F18-4401-B620-DEA5200EABBD.jpeg

0FD103A4-7844-4B2F-A890-98DC930DF679.jpeg

95C92997-D6F1-4EC5-96D6-DC0E1008A687.jpeg

That is why I said faux patina it If you feel like painting it. Otherwise I would ride it as is. I wouldn't restore if you worry about riding it after. I don't own any restored or valuable in that sense so ....

The bike is looking great! I need some truss rods for mine and don’t know which style is right for a prewar bike either?

I still have no clue. I put the set that is in better condition on the bike, and went with it.

I beat on the rack with a mallet, dolly and some wood blocks tonight. It is much less bent than it was. Here it is just sitting on the bike, not bolted down.
Been pondering. I think I have too much restored stuff in my life as it is. Might just run it, or, black eggshell with hardener in it.

Ted

EE4D29B7-FB63-4B2E-9AAE-13A24AB6CC4E.jpeg

04939D2B-48B4-4D9B-BE18-ADDE4AE5055B.jpeg

Back