When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More info on this Belknap ladies bike?

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Hi,

This one came by the shop briefly yesterday - it has been in the family since it was new. It is a barn bike and too far gone to do a restoration without paint and chrome work so the owner will hang on to it for now.ir

I mentioned he may want to part it out before it deteriorates further so it can help folks doing restorations of the same model bike but are missing parts.

If someone could give me a date range, I will research it further. I take it that Belknap was a hardware store and this bike may have been made for them by the Huffman Company.

It has holes in fenders for skirt guard and a block chain (skip tooth chain).

Thank you for your consideration and Happy Easter!

belknap1.jpg

belknap2.jpg

I'd give that thing a good OA bath and I bet you would be surprised at how much color comes back. Can't pin it down right now but I don't think Huffman. V/r Shawn

I think I found a pretty close match for the year and manufacturer for the Belknap. So I guess this bike is an Elgin/Belknap with YOP between 1933 and 1940.

Here is a a pic of a Sears 1933 catalog showing an Elgin ladies "Swallow" model.
33fw_elgin_oriole.jpg
of the ad.

Last edited:
Restoration would only ruin this bike anyhow, and so would parting it out. In no way is this bike too far gone!!! WD40, rag, 0000 steel wool, wax, lube, and that bike will be BEAUTIFUL! If they decide to go this route, remind them that they need to be extra cautious around the pinstriping.
Hate to disagree with Shawn, but Oxalic on painted parts could easily fade the red paint. Great on chrome parts though.

Last edited:
Back