When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Raleigh's! A pair of 1970 TWENTY's!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The rear hub dates both at 1970, and both were purchased at the same time at a bike shop not far from me. Both still have their overly large bike shop stickers (which I've removed one, covering the Raleigh logo unharmed), a place where I've bought bikes for my kids when they were young and my lawnmowers. "Mineola Bicycle Shop". As a matter of fact, they're mentioned (including a photo of the building) in the Schwinn book "No Hands" I have. They were a very large dealership for Schwinn.

As far as riding one, I've gone as far as the end of my block and back when I got them. I'm curious myself as to how they'll handle and ride...:rolleyes:

Page from the Raleigh 1970 catalog...but it appears in the photo that the lever to fold the bike in half is mounted on the side of the frame. Mine is on top, which to me indicates different frame tubing design. Am I seeing this correctly???

TH_Raleigh_Cat_70_13_LG.jpg

-----

wrt the two different hinge designs -

when i saw the 1970 catalogue image assumed they must be showing a 1969 model so checked images of 1969 model Twenty and all the ones found had arrangement like your examples. :confused:

-----

These are pretty early Raleigh 20s. I have a 1971-72 model with 1971 rear hub code.

Tony Hadland's Raleigh book indicates that the Twenty line (which initially was a non-folding small-wheel bike) first appeared in general in July 1968, but that the Twenty was "soft launched" such that few people were made aware of it. The Twenty appeared in Canada in 1969, but that 1970 was a key year in the marketing of the bikes in Britain and the US. By October 1970, the full array of varieties of Twenty were fleshed out. 1970-71 folding Twentys are early models. Mine is basically the same as the ones you've found and it's a 1971-72 model.

The 1970 catalog picture may show an early variation or experiment with the folding frame - the picture wa likely taken very early in the life of the Twenty folder such that the final production version was completed only after that catalog shot was taken.

It's funny that the Twenty was "soft launched" such that it seemed there was not a great deal of confidence in the bike initially. It turns out the Twenty was one of the greatest of the old generation of folding and small wheel bikes. A survey of consumers in the mid-1970s placed the Twenty firmly in first place for small wheeled bikes, ahead of the rival Dawes Kingpin.

The Twenty gets its "feel" largely from the presence of a plastic bushing in the top of head set. This bushing is prone to cracking and breaking and should be handled with care. The bushing is there to "dampen" the steering so that the bike feels more like a full-sized bike (small wheel bikes can have a light "snappy" steering that takes getting used to compared to a regular bike; the bushing was Raleigh's solution to this).

The redline tires are the original ones for this era. They're pretty well-made: my Twenty is still running its original tires and tubes, which is an accomplishment after 47 years. The redline tires in good condition have become somewhat valuable on their own because the muscle bike and BMX guys like them.

The Twenty frame is very robust for an old-era folding bike. The bike does not fold up as neatly as a modern folder but, it's still an excellent bike. The Twenty is when Raleigh finally got the small wheel bike "right". Raleigh had problems with licensing the Moulton designs before this, and the Raleigh Small Wheel bike was generally too small (and the tires to slow-running and soft) for a full-sized, adult rider.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info @SirMike1983!!

The 1969 model I believe had painted fenders, and 1970 began the Chrome ones. Oh, I took the bike for a ride and the gears need a bit of adjusting. I kept slipping out of first to "neutral"...but it stayed in third. Fine tuning on the cable and it will be fine.

Well, I'm down to one TWENTY now. A friend came by and saw them and had to have one. So, I sold him the one I hadn't touched yet for basically what I paid for it. He saw what I did to the other, and was all set to begin making it look like that one. A good ending/beginning for the other!

Here's the last comparison shot before the other TWENTY went off to another home.

IMG_3412.jpg

They're fun to ride - definitely different from the full-sized bikes, and very different from the DL-1. Just remember to watch the turns - the clearance is pretty small and it's easy to pedal strike if you are trying to power through a turn. I think you'll like the one you kept. I enjoy having mine.

Back