When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Spring Cleaning

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

SirMike1983

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
More dusting off bikes in storage, airing up tires, tweaking seats/posts, etc. After that, I get to ride each a bit, which is the fun part of the exercise. 1958 Raleigh Sports and 1946 Hercules Model C:

https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2017/04/english-three-speed-bikes.html

20170408_172410.jpg

20170408_172447.jpg

20170408_184011.jpg

20170408_184030.jpg

Beautiful bikes......and if the backdrop means anything, you have a beautiful place to ride!

Here in central PA there aren't many flat spots. Used to ride to work as it was only 3 miles but had to climb 1 very steep and 2 long hills so you were either coasting at 30 mph or pedaling your guts out to go 5 mph.

That's my favorite area to ride. The few miles around my house are mostly flat in that direction - in the 1700s and 1800s this was a Virginia tidewater plantation where corn and tobacco were grown. It's very warm and very humid here from late May through late Sept or early Oct. The downside is that the streets here are deteriorating somewhat. We have more pot holes than ever it seems.

I live in Massachusetts theres more potholes then people living in this state when I go ride New Hampshire the roads are like glass so smooth no potholes or moon craters.

All the bikes in your stable look great! However, your '46 Hercules is my favorite!

I still have not successfully been able to identify and date the frame on my Tourist. I think it may well be a 1959 or 1960 transitionary frame, as it has the early bosses brazed to the frame for the SA 3 speed pulley, a boss to mount a fully enclosed chain guard and a Kingfisher Leads metal flip top oiler cap on top of the bottom bracket. Additionally, my Tourist has the post 1960's Raleigh Industries front sprocket and rear fender stay holes behind the rear axel's drop out.

The only original parts on my bike are the frame, fork, 3 piece bottom bracket, front stem, and handlebars. Everything else are replacement parts, that I added.

The other confusing issue with my frame is that it has a Tourist decal, on the head tube, instead of the usual brass Hercules Tourist shield. Can anyone help me identify and date the frame on my bike?

BrooksB190-1.jpg
$_12.JPG

Last edited:
1974 Raleigh Grand Prix: I really, really like some of Raleigh's plain jane 20-30 steel frames (this Carlton-Raleigh Grand Prix and my Raleigh Sports are great riders). Raleigh is sometimes criticized for it's 1970s-era products in terms of quality control and cheapening components. But I honestly have had good luck with all of my 1970s-era Raleighs, and they run the range from the Grand Prix road to the Sports utility to the DL-1 roadster.

20170706_190445.jpg

20170706_190526.jpg

20170706_190502.jpg

Short comparison of my 1972 Schwinn Super Sports and 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix projects:

https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2017/07/raleigh-grand-prix-vs-schwinn-super.html

Back