When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Spring Cleaning

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Might I ask what state you live in? It's beautiful there. I live in parched Southern California, and wish I had places like this to ride. Reminds me a bit of NJ where I grew up.

I live in Connecticut. We had a very dry period in August, but it has equalized back out in the past 3 weeks or so. The riding season here runs April through October. The trade off is that November through March can be snowy and the road salt puts an end to riding for those months. There's always a trade off.

I live in Connecticut. We had a very dry period in August, but it has equalized back out in the past 3 weeks or so. The riding season here runs April through October. The trade off is that November through March can be snowy and the road salt puts an end to riding for those months. There's always a trade off.
Yeah, in Jersey there would be those winter days where it would warm up and dry out enough to take the bikes out for a bit. As kids we didn't even think about the salt. That Raleigh got a little rusty. I really miss the east coast.

Yeah, in Jersey there would be those winter days where it would warm up and dry out enough to take the bikes out for a bit. As kids we didn't even think about the salt. That Raleigh got a little rusty. I really miss the east coast.

It was not as severe here an issue until maybe 15 years ago. The state and local governments here used screened sand with a little rock salt added to it. Eventually environmentalists prevailed on the governments to change away from sand because they claimed the sand was clogging up wetlands and ending up in rivers and eventually Long Island Sound.

So the governments moved to a highly concentrated "brine" spray that goes down before the snow storm, and highly concentrated calcium chloride pellets during the storms. These newer products are lethal to steel. You'll see extensive rust on bare steel within days if exposed to liquid brine in particular. These newer salts also are much more water resistant than the old sand was (you need to soap and scrub off, you can't just hose something down as you did with sand). This stuff can't be any better for the environment, yet we're stuck with it now. We have tons of mechanically fine but rusted out older vehicles on the roads here.

I wish they hadn't switched because the days when you could slip in a winter ride on a warm February day are just about done here. This new junk stays on the roads...

Sprite on the road the other day:

20220928_173943.jpg

20220928_173929.jpg

How do you like the 5 speed hub?
I have one too, but have stalled out on refurbishing it.
I need to get back to it again.

How do you like the 5 speed hub?
I have one too, but have stalled out on refurbishing it.
I need to get back to it again.

The gear range is excellent and it can be paired with the cog size of your choice to customize where you want the range to start and end. Bearing adjustment is more critical than with the AW. The peripheral hardware has to be good for it work well - good shifter set up, good bell crank, good cable set up, etc. There are a few choices for shifters. You can go original as I have or you can go with more practical using a friction shifter on one side and a Sturmey 3-speed clicker on the other, but whatever you choose, the shifters should be in good working condition. They run fairly smoothly but I don't find they run quite as smoothly as the AW. I would not turn a beginner loose on one, but it's a great hub if you used to working with old Sturmey stuff. The FW four-speed also is a great hub if you can find one (though you lose some top-end).

Swapped this 1942 Schwinn / B.F. Goodrich New World over to a set of pre-war touring bars. I got these from Bobcycles here on the CABE, and they go nicely with this bike. They're just a size or so bigger than the post-war New World type bars. They're pretty comfortable and go perfectly with this bike. The Gyes saddle still needs breaking in. It's definitely harder leather than a Brooks, but perhaps with some time and effort, it will improve.

20221021_170621.jpg

Swapped this 1942 Schwinn / B.F. Goodrich New World over to a set of pre-war touring bars. I got these from Bobcycles here on the CABE, and they go nicely with this bike. They're just a size or so bigger than the post-war New World type bars. They're pretty comfortable and go perfectly with this bike. The Gyes saddle still needs breaking in. It's definitely harder leather than a Brooks, but perhaps with some time and effort, it will improve.

View attachment 1717339
Love those North Road style bars. Is the saddle pretty stable with that front spring? Like the look, and have thought about getting one.

Back