When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Spring Cleaning

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The bag is an Acorn small saddle bag. They're a well-made bag that doesn't need a support or any kind of special handling. I like how they are just "attach and go". The rear cog is a 22-tooth thread-on. I kept the original threaded driver for this one. I'd guess this bike is from early 1947, maybe late 1946. It has an un-dated Sturmey AW hub with a number of black-out parts on it. The hub is from right after the end of WWII, I would guess. The really early Continentals had New World type paint schemes, but this one can't be too long after those based on the hub features.

Thanks @SirMike1983 for the S-A hub info. I have a couple undated hubs on early Raleigh roadsters I am still trying to date. I have been told that they are WW2 era (~'41-'43); both are chromed units.

I wonder if the years of production might be during the WWII era but somewhat wider. The bikes I have seen them on date from 1940 through 1947. The last old system (one digit) dated hubs I've seen were the 0-series of 1940. I'm not sure all hubs made in 1940 were so-dated though. Then you get the no date code hubs, and then in 1947 you start seeing the standardized new system of date codes. I don't recall seeing a wartime dated hub or a 1946 hub with the new date code. But one could always turn up I suppose...

One thing that I have not looked into, and which might be helpful to get, is a copy of a patent applied for in 1939 for the meshing of gears in the AW hub. Some of these no-date hubs say "Patent Applied For" and some just say "Patent" or "Patented". The application and granting dates of that patent might give a rough yardstick for when the no-date hubs were made. If I am recalling correctly, it was also that 1939 patent which led to the actions against Scintilla and others who copied the AW. Much about the AW was not patented, but the gear mesh did give SA one patent they could enforce. I should get a copy of it and see what the dates are.

Last edited:
Good to know Mike; I'll take a closer look at the hubs. Unfortunately, the bikes are in 2 different locations, but I have one of them in the garage so I'll shoot a photo of the hub and post it. If I recall, I could not really match the serial number to the database, or it did not match features for the year. One has the 8v dynohub which was I thought had a fairly limited run ( but what years?).
I cannot rememner if I posted either bike here before. I need to check.

Back