When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Spring Cleaning

-
Upgraded the 1958 Sports to Schwalbe Delta Cruiser white walls. These are a bit nicer tire than the Duro. The Duros seemed to age prematurely on this bike. These Schwalbes look nice on a 50s bike and bring more cushion and ride quality.

20190629_172116.jpg

20190629_172107.jpg

The Farmington River Bike Trail over in Collinsville/Canton/Burlington/Unionville is a great spot if you happen to be riding in western Connecticut. We had nice weather yesterday. The trail has vastly improved over the past 15 years - lots of places to sit and picnic, lots of places to stop by the water or to rest. They're really done a first rate job on this trail. There are a few spots where roots have made the trail bumpy - I suggest a middle weight type utility bike or something that handles bumps. You don't need a full mountain bike, but don't ride something with razor blade road tires either.

FRT%2B8.24.%2B3.jpg

FRT%2B8.24%2B5.jpg

FRT%2B8.24%2B6.jpg

Farmington%2BRiver%2BTrail%2B8.24.19.jpg

FRT%2B8.24%2B4.jpg

FRT%2B8.24.jpg

FTR%2B8.24%2B2.jpg

It has been awhile but, here are a few pictures going back into the spring. Spring begins later here than it did in Virginia - noticeably so. The pictures with few leaves on the trees were actually taken in May. We don't have full leaf coverage until late May here. Early June is a bit more like summer, though we don't get into the truly hot weather until a little later on.

20200609_183656.jpg

20200609_183630.jpg

Raleigh%2BMarsh%2BPoint%2BMay%2B2020.jpg

Raleigh%2BRoad%2BMay%2B2020%2B2.jpg

Upper%2BBrook%2BMay%2B2020.jpg

Phillips%2BMay%2B2020.jpg

Lower%2BBrook%2BMay%2B2020.jpg

It has been a struggle to reduce and contain the rust on the dark green roadster over the past year and a half or so. The bike was exposed to road salt when I moved back to the north in early 2019. I completely took it apart last summer and cleaned it, but in a few spots, the rust still has tried to come back. A couple of evenings of work cleaning and filling in paint chips has improved things again, but you periodically have to check the bike over to see if you've gotten everything. It's a lot better than it was last year when I did the first cleaning of the salt. It's yet another piece of evidence that you don't want any exposure to road salt and treatment if you can help it.

Nice Racer!

Thanks. I think it came out pretty nicely. The first ride on it was just an evening or two ago. Still a few small things to adjust on the brakes and the bearing tension, but it's fun. It had a little "longer" and a little more "cushy" feel than the Raleigh Sports. But I love having both types in the garage.

Back