When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Spring Cleaning

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Flat tire on the 1958 Raleigh - rotted tube from a blown grease seal gradually leaking oil. Not a big loss; the tube was a Duro brand that came with the tires, and those are pretty damned cheap. I refreshed the grease seals at the cones with better grease and replaced the rim tape and tube. The tire itself was fine.

While I had the wheel in the vise, I took a picture of the spoke heads. These 1940s-50s era Raleighs had some high-end touches, including brand name "R" strikes on each of the spoke heads. The modern spoke makers do this too, but back in the day Raleigh did it as well. The spoke washers are Velofuze brass types I added when I re-built the wheel as a four speed with an FW hub from 1956.

https://bikeshedva.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-maintenance-carousel.html

20170715_140758.jpg

20170715_165715.jpg

1958 Sports out and about on a summer-like day.

20170923_171034.jpg

20170923_171104.jpg

20170923_171055.jpg

I am riding a patched rear tube on it now: I last rode this bike a couple weeks ago. The day after I last rode it, I noticed the rear was flat, and found a piece of glass in the tire and tube. I patched it the old way - I still use the old-style, red and black glue-on patches. I find the old way still works fine. But what I am also finding is that fewer people seem to be using the traditional patches. I'm noticing more and more people just replacing the tubes, or using sticker patches.

I trash the really cheap tubes (Duro, for example) when they get a flat. But I still patch middling and better tubes - Kenda, Forte, and the thorn-resistant heavy duty tubes.

Back