When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morrow brakes - won't stop!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

okozzy

Wore out three sets of tires already!
One of my new rescued bikes has a very worn out morrow clutch sleeve (brass splines that contact the hub shell when the brake is applied), these are hard to find in a NOS condition.

Has anyone successfully tried to re-groove / re-etch the pads, if so what did you use and or what method did you use?

Picture below is not the actual picture but just an example of the sleeve....... mine are completely smooth.

thank you!:eek:

Attachments

• hub917f4 (Medium).jpg
    hub917f4 (Medium).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 52
I don't know if it'd work to regroove because the outside diameter seems like it would be originally sized to sit just out of contact with the hub shell until the brake was applied. I think the problem would be that it has worn itself too small at this point. That's what I would think at least! Somebody else might have better information.

Oh, and hopefully you didn't completely disassemble the spring side of the Morrow hub. I made that mistake and got to pull the hub apart an extra 4 times adjusting it until it worked right ;)

I don't know if it'd work to regroove because the outside diameter seems like it would be originally sized to sit just out of contact with the hub shell until the brake was applied. I think the problem would be that it has worn itself too small at this point. That's what I would think at least! Somebody else might have better information.

Yeah I was thinking about the thickness as well, if it gets too thing then your done, can't do anything about that, but thought it's worth asking if any one else has been able to improve the braking without having to re-lace another hub?

This might work.

Back in the 1960s the bike shop I worked in used to grind the brass diagonally on a bench grinder to make the contact with the hub shell and provide stopping power.
This will work until you can find a better replacement.

Yeah, that might work!

Back in the 1960s the bike shop I worked in used to grind the brass diagonally on a bench grinder to make the contact with the hub shell and provide stopping power.
This will work until you can find a better replacement.

Hey thanks, that may just work, I will give it a shot.:eek:

Yes thanks, I've seen it, but that is just the sleeve, I would not know how to put internals from mine on to the sleeve....... scratching my head as to how to remove without destroying it.:(

Ah yes, that is a puzzle. It seems that if they went in they must come out! Worth considering if hashing some grooves in it doesn't work and your sleeve will be useless anyway.

Back