When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morrow hub identification?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ricollector

Finally riding a big boys bike
What does the S stamped into the brake arm signify? Also, why wouldn't this hub be chromed? I think it is nickel plating?
Thank you for any information.

IMG_5423.JPG

Reactions: JLF
Because it's a Wartime"Blackout" hub & the surface has either worn away or been stripped.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/serial-number-and-date-code-information.71542/#post-441223
Morrow Coaster Brake Hub:

Letter and number note the year and quarter of production.
Example: I 3 = produced 1939 July-September

Note: many hubs are marked 36-13, this is not the date code, it notes the # spoke holes and size.

A - 1931
B - 1932
C - 1933
D - 1934
E - 1935
F - 1936
G - 1937
H - 1938
I - 1939
J - 1940
K - 1941
L - 1942
M - 1943
N - 1944
O - 1945
P - 1946
Q - 1947
R - 1948
S - 1949
T - 1950

Thank you for the information. Still wondering about the "s" stamped into the brake arm? I think I will just clean the hub as is and not replate it for my restoration.

I don't think it's a blackout hub Mike. If the last number is 10 then it's a heavy duty hub and would be correct for G519 military bikes and also service bikes and cycletrucks. These hubs had a Parkerized finish which has a dull sheen.

At some point during the war Morrow started doing the blackout finishes on next hubs to come down the supply chain. Shaun's example he has for sale doesn't note the date coding or spoke gauge. I have had three or four Morrow blackout hubs and they were all dated 45 and none of them had the 10 gauge spokes they were 13 gauge.

@Mercian

Yes, I would agree with you. The hub I have is as a M4.....36....10 marking. This hub came off of a prewar cycle-truck. I am guessing that the dull finish plating is nickle only. Because of the war, they didn't chrome because of cost. Nickle plating is a step in the process before chrome. The blackout is paint over nickle for the later hubs.

I don't think it's a blackout hub Mike. If the last number is 10 then it's a heavy duty hub and would be correct for G519 military bikes and also service bikes and cycletrucks. These hubs had a Parkerized finish which has a dull sheen.

At some point during the war Morrow started doing the blackout finishes on next hubs to come down the supply chain. Shaun's example he has for sale doesn't note the date coding or spoke gauge. I have had three or four Morrow blackout hubs and they were all dated 45 and none of them had the 10 gauge spokes they were 13 gauge.

@Mercian
My mistake then. I was under the impression that "blackout" hubs were indeed Parkerized? I hope I'm not cornfusing anyone.

Back