When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Comfortable Saddle

-

Chuck S

Look Ma, No Hands!
So what do you consider the most comfortable saddle? I am new to looking at these old bikes. Many of the saddles look fairly big and have all sorts of different springs. I know many people like Brooks saddles, I have never tried one. I have had a number or bikes over the years, but never a leather saddle. I do remember my 1971 Varsity had a heavy rubber cover over longitudinal springs. I thought it comfortable at the time, but I was a Freshman in highschool

Ha!! That is a good question. Many saddles ( leather especially) need to be ridden/broken in, especially a Brooks. It depends on how often you ride and what size your butt is too, also how much you weigh. LARGE is not always the most comfortable. Look at the saddles on racers and mountain bikes/ small and very little padding, but these are generally used by athletic people with muscular physiques who ride regular/often.

Usually ( I sold bicycles for awhile many years ago) if a person hasn't ridden anything more than a couch or a lazy-boy, or toilet ( especially in snow belt areas where riding is seasonal) all Winter, almost any saddle will be uncomfortable at first, until you get some miles on, ride and get your azz used to a bike seat again. Just like any muscle, it needs to get conditioned.

I find the larger, well sprung ( deep springs) well padded balloon tire seats to be the most comfortable. I'm a casual rider now, used to ride more, but it is also about bicycle fit and leg extension. If you are not riding/pedaling in a position that is good for your body, it will obviously be painful. Overall fitness plays a role for sure too. The proof is in the pedaling.

I appreciate the replies so far. What I was curious about are your individual preferences. I ride about 1000 miles per year. For my road bike and Trek 930 I have it worked out. Serfas saddle on the road bike, Schwinn smaller cruiser saddle on the Trek. Both saddles have thousands of miles on them.
The wild card is I have a new Raleigh Preston coming tomorrow, it has a sprung all leather saddle similar to a Brooks. I guess what I was hoping to hear is how great the all leather saddles are. I have a feeling it will break me before I break it in.
I am also looking ahead to possibly adding a bike from the 50's to my collection.
Chuck S

I think the type of bike would make a huge difference. What type of bike are we talking about here, 10 speed road bikes, middleweights or a 30's - 40's - 50's balloon?
Good point. I thought he was talking vintage balloon, but all styles of bikes will vary with seat and comfort...Duhhh??? Ha! I just threw in my 2 bits. Cheers...Bob

I'll swear the leatheries saddle is one of the most comfortable you'yawl will set on....brooks bought them out in the 30's i tink ..could be qa better pix.....

008.JPG

Back