When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Comfortable Saddle

-
Brooks B-135 is a nice saddle too. ( no break in required) LOTS of spring. A Troxel toolbox saddle is comfy too, but kinda rare and pricey. Another nice one is a Lepper Primus, made in Holland. I don't have a bike for it now ( either Brooks or Lepper really) but they are sweet. The Lepper is nicely aged/broken in.

P1010004 (4).JPG

pan 1 clay - Copy.JPG

IMG_0192.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

Last edited:
I have several Brooks and break in period varies from almost nothing to a fairly long time. The more upright you sit, the wider you want the saddle to be. I also have a Cardiff, which seems like a knock off Brooks that I got on sale for cheap for a painting experiment on a bike I didn't expect to ride much. After several hundred miles and lots of glove oil, it still feels like a granite bench. There's a cloth adhered to the underside that I think prevents absorption of the oil. I imagine the leather is not directionally grained like Brooks to get more out of a hide and the cloth is there to try to make up for it, but I don't know. Anyway, if you want a Brooks, get a Brooks (or that French one that's supposed to be better, but is a lot more money and I haven't tried one).

my late 20's Troxel long spring motor bike saddle is probably the most comfortable I have.

my Brooks B17 standard isn't bad either.

as others have stated, depends on the bicycle. The original Elgin branded Troxel on my wife's 41 Elgin is very comfortable.

for me the fat sprung seats on vintage bikes are all wrong. I have a brooks on the 46 DX in my avatar, very comfortable and I got it new for cheap because if had a gash in it.

I have spent 5-6 hours at a time on this tiny sliver of a seat on many occasions. probably would not work as well in the more upright riding positions of vintage bikes

Lemonds.jpg

Thanks for all the answers. I rode my new Preston 20 miles with the leather saddle today. It is really hard, being new. I was surprised I did not feel any discomfort until about 18 miles. Still not bad. It does not appear the saddle changed shape at all. I know too soon.

Another issue you may want to address is the seat height. If you’re of the taller persuasion you may want to swap the original seat post with a taller one to give you a few more inches to get your legs into a position to extend

Back