When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most desireable middle weight bike

-
"All the added bling"?

I really do not feel that I added anything to this bike. The only thing I added extra to it was the period correct aftermarket green and white cable wrap. Before I converted it, it was still a 1961 Mark IV 3 speed Jaguar tank bike. complete with front and rear racks, and Delta "Roadliter" ball headlight, as originally equipped from the factory. All I really did was swap out one gearing driveline for another, plus the custom decals made up as such. The seatmast tube decal was a modified 5 speed Corvette decal that I changed to read "Jaguar Mark IV" instead of "Corvette". The crossed flags graphics added to the chainguard below the word "Jaguar" is the exact graphic decal that was used on the 5 speed Corvette's chainguard. So basically the way I designed and built this bike, I was using what would have been the Schwinn design team's parameters, as to how this bike would have looked in order to be possibly marketed around 1962. Other than the stem mounted "S" shifter, and big chrome "pieplate" spoke protector, this bike would be period correct as a 1962 model Schwinn. If this bike would have been built, and marketed in 1962, it probably would have sold for ten dollars more than their 5 speed Corvette, at $89.95, a terribly expensive kids bicycle back in that day. The 5 speed Corvette was expensive enough.

Jim.

I stand corrected

Jim,
I thought it was a Corvette converted to the MarkIV Jag. My bad.
Because of that ASSumption, I was under the impression that the Corvette did not have a tank and racks.
I stand corrected and should spend more time reading the copy before making a statement.
It still looks SWEET. I love the green and chrome!!

Yes, you are right that Corvettes did not have tanks, as they came from the factory. However, they did come with a front single or double hinged spring rack designed to carry small items with, as well as a battery operated headlight on the handlebar stem. Corvettes did not come with rear racks from the factory, though. You could have the dealer install one for you at an extra charge.

Jim.

Attachments

• IMG_1694.jpg
    IMG_1694.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
... Corvettes did not come with rear racks from the factory, though. You could have the dealer install one for you at an extra charge.

Jim.

Excellent point. I won't forget the kid in my neighborhood who had a Schwinn Varsity with banana seat, and ape hangers. He got it like that from the Schwinn dealer because that's how he wanted it. A Schwinn dealer would pretty much set up any bike the way you wanted if you were willing to pay. Not all the odd Schwinns are necessarily frankenbiked together.

JWM

Wow...white vettes

I only have one middle weight in my collection--1959 Schwinn white Corvette. This is the only year the Corvette was offered in white. I need the correct seat for this bike if anyone has one. The other white Corvette is my '88 Callaway Twin Turbo. V/r Shawn

I have readjusted my wish list since seeing the few White Corvette recently. Surfed the schwinnbikeforum galleries and saw pedalsnostalgia's and island schwinn's examples.
pedaslnostalgia
attachment.php

island schwinn
attachment.php

Shawn, want to sell yours?

I have to say that the Schwinn Corvette 5-speed deserves credit along with the Schwinn Jaguar. If they are Coppertone that is all the better!
the coppertone jags,or any other model,are real nice.as far as the coppertone corvette 5 speed,there is only one known example and it's currently being restored by pedalsnostalgia.coppertone wasn't available on corvettes until very late 62 for the 63 model year.the latest 5 speed was august 62 until the coppertone one showed up.

Back