When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most Wanted/Common Spoke Lengths?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

KevinsBikes

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have a chance to pick through some old warehouse with a ton of spokes - I know to correctly build a wheel you have to measure to the mm, but having only built one wheel in my life on an S2 with 10 5/8 (269-270mm) I know I need those, but are there some odd sizes needed? I pulled some odd ones out of there before and just gave them away since I knew nothing about building wheels. Are 11 5/8 common for trying to build old hubs into 28” clinchers?

Any requests please let me know I’ll try and grab them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most spokes for 28 inch wheels have to be 11/78 or 12 inches. At least thats my finding.

I've not seen enough 28s to form any rules of thumb, but I'm going with DB on this. If you are Cross 4, then the spoke leaves the hub tangentially, that is, the top spoke on the rim is the spoke that left the hub at 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock. The 28 inch rim is 2 inches bigger than a 26. That's 2 inches bobber. Half of 2 is 1, and throw in a little rim profile difference, and you're looking at a spoke that's about an inch longer. Cross 3, Cross 2, and radials are more difficult to guess at. Sheldon Brown or another on-line spoke calculator would be a safer way to go. Hubs have different flange sizes and configurations. Drive wheels or wheels with brakes need X3 or X4 to reduce scissoring, while radial or X1 are less apt to "taco" under side load.
I'd grab them if they are cheap enough because they can be cut and re-threaded.

I've not seen enough 28s to form any rules of thumb, but I'm going with DB on this. If you are Cross 4, then the spoke leaves the hub tangentially, that is, the top spoke on the rim is the spoke that left the hub at 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock. The 28 inch rim is 2 inches bigger than a 26. That's 2 inches bobber. Half of 2 is 1, and throw in a little rim profile difference, and you're looking at a spoke that's about an inch longer. Cross 3, Cross 2, and radials are more difficult to guess at. Sheldon Brown or another on-line spoke calculator would be a safer way to go. Hubs have different flange sizes and configurations. Drive wheels or wheels with brakes need X3 or X4 to reduce scissoring, while radial or X1 are less apt to "taco" under side load.
I'd grab them if they are cheap enough because they can be cut and re-threaded.

Thanks - this guy has many off sizes but does have a lot in the 11 7/8 to over 12 size (pallets), along with Sturmey Archer nipples, however they are mostly the galvanized “rustless” kind which I have heard are a bit weak compared to stainless. Not sure if it’s worth the cost, or how much interest there is in for original spokes
98e62a7777583baf6f397273a3fe7414.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are any of them chrome?
There are a few sizes which are stainless (better than chrome). 11 7/8, 11 27/32, a few others, I have another post with a handful of photos "NOS Spokes" in the classifieds. PM me if you have size requests I'm heading back to get some more early next week.

Back