When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motobecane Gran Jubile

-

olddude55

Look Ma, No Hands!
That's right. "Jubile," not "Jubilee." This is the older model. Vitus 172 frame and fork. Been upgraded to Suntour derailleurs. Wheels are custom made Weinman, brakes upgraded, even the gear ratios are set up for Pittsburgh's hills.
So far I've only been able to putter around in the driveway with it, but it feels as light and close-coupled as a sports car. Needs nothing, but I'm going to replace the tires with Panaracer Paselas as soon as they're in stock.
Oh, yeah...replaced the saddle with a proper Brooks B17.
Motobecane Grand Jubilee comes home 1.jpg

Motobecane Grand Jubilee 1.jpg

definitely their prettiest paint scheme - looks to be in great shape.
Motobecane began using SunTour in '72 - and it Was an upgrade.

Bought the bike from its original owner. He told me it came with Huret derailleurs originally.
Any idea where I can find clipless pedals? It's different thread than my other bike.

That's nice! I would like to find a Motobecane of any model in a frame size like that (around 23"). I test rode a friend's shorter Motobecane from the 80's and it was smooooth........I loved it!

And, it takes standard pedals after all. Like an idiot, I tried the left pedal in the GT's drive side. Left hand thread, etc...

Very nice, also one of my favorite color schemes. I believe 1977 was the first year Mobobecane switched from Reynolds 531 to Vitus 172 for the GJ but they were also using SunTour Cyclone that year, not Huret. Possibly exceptions were made, maybe a dealer swap, who knows? I have a '74 with Huret Jubilee, one of my best rides.

I rode around , for some years, on a Gran Jubile of the earlier iteration--Reynolds 531, Nervex lugs. they were standardly equipped with Stronglight 49d crankset, and Huret Jubile derailleurs(thus the name). It was second in line--top of the line was Gran Record, which had Campy Nuovo Record crankset and derailleurs. It was always interesting to me that they kept the Jubile name after ditching the gear.

Sweet!
As Blue Oyster Cult once sang, red and black. It's my color scheme.
You using 1-1/8-inch Paselas, or 1-1/4 inch?
Never mind...was able to read the label from your photo.

Last edited:
I don't know why, but there has always been something very attractive to me in the Campy long dropout

Back