When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motobecane Gran Jubile

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Man, my luck just is not in with these old bikes. First ride on the Grand Jubile and the rear axle broke. Snapped right at the base of the threads on the drive side.
Judging from the looks of the broken end, it was cracked and then it snapped through yesterday. The previous owner wouldn't have known about the crack, it wasn't visible even with the wheel off.
There's an LBS that might have the axle. I don't think it's standard French as the wheels were custom made for the bike. I think I can make a through-axle if necessary.

interesting, I would have guessed that it was equipped with a Maillard Helicomatic freewheel, which went a long way towards ending broken axles(which became much more common with the advent of 5 speed rears). What is the Hub/ freewheel ?

Well, took the broken axle to the LBS and I'm SOL. He had axles for everything except a sealed-bearing Avocet.
Found an NOS hub on the auction site. The axle may or may not fit but if it doesn't, my next step is getting the wheel rebuilt with a different hub anyway.
The spacing is correct, so it'll work.

Update: New axle and rear bearings installed. Two brand new Panaracer Pasela tires mounted. Might have the old girl back in service this week.

Only have one so far. No kickstand (yet) so it's tough to find spots to set the bike where it won't fall while I'm trying to snap it.
Motobecane first ride October 9 2020.jpg

This is along the Great Allegheny Passage on Pittsburgh's South Side.
I really love this bike. Fast, great gear ratio (climbs as well as my 21-speed GT mountain bike), really sweet handling.

Very nice! You probably know but use caution with a kickstand if you go that route - Vitus 172 is similar to Reynolds 531 and so pretty thin and the chain stays easily crimped by over-tightening a bolt-on stand. My 531 tubed Jubilé has some damage from a previous owner's addition- but fortunately not too bad.

On my '74 International, with oval and uncrimped 531 chainstays, Raleigh intentionally placed the chainstay bridge so there was no room to install a kickstand.
If you want a kickstand, a good aftermarket is Upstand, which clips to your seat tube, and fits a magnet boss beneath your rear wheel Q/R
(note you can buy it cheaper from Amazon than Upstand website and RockBros make their less-expensive copy)

Last edited:
Back