When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motobecane Mirage

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
Yesterday I was looking at a 1978-1980 Motobecane Mirage for sale. No pictures yet. The paint looks really good, graphics are nice. It needs new tires and a tune-up. Otherwise it looks really good and rideable. It's at $150. Are these good bikes? I read mixed reviews on them.

Lower end in the Motobecane lineup, straight gauge 2040 steel and Suntour components. Bocama lugs depending on which year. They're decent bikes for their category, dollar value is subjective as always.. The paint on Motos is usually very good and durable - I have a couple and both have excellent finishes.

The Mirage was an entry level road bike. It's a basic, all-purpose type road bike. I guess that qualified as "touring" of sorts, but it's not really a bike you'd do long touring with - just an entry level bike for riding on the road.

Sounds more like a $50 (or less) bike. At least where I am. It was a basic, inexpensive model. It also has 27" wheels instead of 700C wheels. That means the available selection of new tires is limited., but not really that big of a deal for that bike. $10 Kendas will do the trick.. You would expect at least a nice Grand Touring with decent tires for that much. You can easily be into it for $225 by the time you are done. If you can, keep looking. Correct size, frame material, components, wheel size and condition are all important.

BTW, "recreational" is probably the correct category. "Racing" and "touring", though, were used quite liberally to describe these type of bikes " back in the day".

I think I will pass. I'm really a Raleigh guy, but this looked pretty decent and not horribly priced. It's on Ebay. I'd like to find one that is more relaxed for a light day of touring. I was figuring around $220 as well.

As was always the case, If you spend money on better (lighter) rims and tires, you will get a much nicer riding experience, that is lighter ride, easier acceleration. Any extra mass on your wheels has to be accelerated twice, linearly and rotationally. So, alloy rims make a difference you can feel, especially in stop and go riding.
Of COURSE, one can retro fit lighter rims on an older bike, and there is some lovely new stuff out there and new quality tires. BUT WOW, it is expensive.
There is a place for a bike like this, but this one is on the high end of the price range.

Back