When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Motorbike" questions

-

dougfisk

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I've taken an interest in the old "Motorbike" style but I am too ignorant to act just yet. I see that they could be had with 28 in "standard" wheels & tires or 26 in balloon. Are the frames, forks and fenders different and specific to each wheel size?? I see a lot of ill-fitting fenders on actual bikes but not in old illustrations. Is this a mis-match of wheel to frame issue?

I don't think specific frames were made for 26" models my Zenith has spacers between the frame and fender
11408fuji088-1.jpg

11408fuji090-1.jpg

Here is a 1936ish snyder that judging by the fork came as a 26" bike. but has plenty of room in the frame for 28" wheels. I've been told the frame is the same for both versions it was a matter of which fork was spec'd that decided if it was a 26" or 28"

090810_1553-1.jpg

in the early 30s they made a transition to ballon. the frames still had a 28in fit and used spacers between the fenders and the frame for the new 26in wheel for a short while. they would still sell 28's with the new 26's then it was all 26 inchs after that. you can fit 26in rims on a 28in frame for the rat bike look.

Back