When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motorbike Tank Decal Use

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Ok for you Schwinn aficianados out there. I'm curious when the non "AS" tank decals were used. Were these used starting in '35? Only certain years? Only through certain distributors e.g. Chicago Cycle Supply? V/r Shawn

ace.jpg

s-l500.jpg

A very good question. The only thing I can add to this is what I have seen(forty years). most were Chicago Cycle Supply bikes and most were diamond framed. One had a Chicago Tribune Special head plate. Two had the Chicago cycle supply tires(forget how they were marked). Have seen at least three times as many on restored bikes-most of these were also diamond framed bikes. I doubt these were originally decaled w/o the a.s. wheel-but look cool anyway!

Last edited:
A very good question. The only thing I can add to this is what I have seen(forty years). most were Chicago Cycle Supply bikes and were all diamond framed. One had a Chicago Tribune Special head plate. Two had the Chicago cycle supply tires(forget how they were marked). Have seen at least three times as many on restored bikes-most of these were also diamond framed bikes. I doubt these were originally decaled w/o the a.s. wheel-but look cool anyway!

So these were a possible counterfeit decal where they left out the AS to keep the lawyers away from their door?

Hahaha-well not exactly! Chicago Cycle Supply was Schwinn's biggest distributor/dealer. Schwinn was in the business of building bikes-they stayed away from the day-to-day dealing with the public(there have been exceptions to this we know of). Its very unlikely that Schwinn wouldn't have minded if C.C.S. was to 'create' or design their own decals(in all actuality the decal(in question above) were probably put on in the Schwinn factory!). I am sure Barry's book sheds light on how many plates C.C.S. can claim as theirs! I would think its a little more of a deception of sorts-to throw people off to think that the bike was made by them(C.C.S.)! Much like most of the Mead Ranger line or to a degree Schwinn built B.F. Goodrich bikes that Schwinn built from the git-go. Mead always bragged it was their bike this or our own bike that.....even a kid could spot the similarities between his Ranger and his buddy's Schwinn! The decals are legit...maybe a little harder to come across. Things like truth in advertising wasn't addressed then like it is nowadays-there are enforceable laws in place. Someone must have a Chicago Cycle Supply catalog showing 'our own special' or something to that effect with a 'period-type-photoshop' of a motorbike with the decal 'in question'!

The second bike
The second one would look to be a ‘36 which would nullify the DD only for the
No rhyme or reason I can discern, kinda like the steel fender ornaments these non AS decals seem to come and go on all years 35-39. ChiCyCo came both ways, as did Schwinn badged rides.
Along the same lines I've noticed ChiCyCo bikes devoid of both seat tube and guard Schwinn decals sometimes as well. V/r Shawn

Back