When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MounTech shifter parts

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

CoachPerry19

On Training Wheels
Looking for a MounTech thumb shifter from 1984-85? Or a listing (source) for piece parts for them? Have a nice functional set of shifters but one of them lost the small metal ring (washer) that has the "Suntour micro" identification and the somewhat goofy little screw with the handle? that holds the upper half of the shifter to the bottom (attached to the handlebar).

Any information would be much appreciated.

I believe the MounTech were the front & rear derailleurs, not shifters (http://velobase.com/ListComponents.aspx?SearchID=f51689ee-0abe-4082-84a0-dcf6f8790cee )
Is it possible you're looking for the Suntour shifters (or shifter parts) from the mid-80's? If so, you might start looking for Suntour Power Thumbshifters, Suntour XC Thumbshifters o Suntour XC Pro Thumbshifters. @buickmike probably asked for pics to help identify which shifter you're working with so we can help you out.
Suntour had another, earlier shifter called the Suntour Mighty Shifter but those were from the early 80's.

Last edited:
Ya I thought he had some for sale. . I remember that derailliers Had a long cage on them. But never got to use it cause regular sun tour never failed me.Now I bought the brake handles off cabe. But thought seller would offer more from bike/ pedals/ shifters. But guess he didn't have em. Crude but effective.

IMG_20191022_151901.jpg

Thanks for the quick response. I have attached some pics because BuickMike is correct (should have included them) and KingSized HD is also correct they are in fact Suntour Power IMG_0654B.jpg

IMG_0657B.jpg

IMG_0658B.jpg

IMG_0660B.jpg

IMG_0662B.jpg

IMG_0663B.jpg

IMG_0664B.jpg

IMG_0666B.jpg

IMG_0668B.jpg

Thumb shifters. Dumb me, figured that there might have been "group" involved here but ney, ney...

Just to give some background ....picked up a pair of model year 1984 Schwinn High Sierras last year off of CL and have been restoring them one step at a time. The serial numbers indicate these were actually built in August of 1983 so I think that puts them pretty early in Schwinn's MB efforts. Made by Giant, I think, 4130 tubes and stays, bullmoose bars and Suntour Mountech RD & FD, 5 speed Suntour Perfect FW, Ararya RM-20's and Diacompe 980 brakes. See attached pics.

So I have one done and working on the second one when I see that one of the Power Thumb shifters is missing the little trim ring that tells you what it is and that the original screw with the loop has been replaced by some ugly old machine screw. Took a quick picture of them together. The one on the left has a right combo and the one on the right needs the right parts and given the year of these I'm having a hard time finding one. Probably have to buy two new if I can find them.

The first bike is too clean.! They were built. To go off road. Dirt water scrub brushes* whereever and what ever. Leave the first bike in the house and second bike take outdoors and see what it can do.

When I found them both bikes were all rust, dust and crust. The first one took more than one tin of polish and a big buffing wheel but I love the overall quality of the parts on these old bikes.

Back