When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multi speed Town & Country tandem with drum brakes?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Murray Missile

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I may be acquiring a Town & Country tandem which I believe to be a '62 . It is a single speed with front and rear drum brakes. I found a picture of one with a top tube mounted shifter that appeared to be Schwinn and a Simplex RD, I couldn't see how many cogs were on the freewheel but I'm guessing it was a 4 cog unit like the early 60's Varsities. Was this a factory option or something someone adapted? I'd like another gear or two on this one but I really want to keep the rear drum brake. Is anyone familiar with this setup? I'm not too concerned with keeping it all original because it's in pretty rough shape cosmetically. I just want to do a mechanical overhaul and clean up so my wife and I can use it on local tweed rides etc., we have a tandem MTB for more serious outings. Barring a multi speed option for the rear hub I may look into adapting a double chainwheel and front derailleur with a chain tensioner or dummy rear derailleur but if there was a factory option I rather do that. I also have a box of hole Bendix 2 speeds, I suppose I could always use one of those.

I've seen different versions of the three wheeler, some one wheel drive some two wheel drive. Not sure what was made when. They did make 2 speed kickback and three speed versions. I had a red band for one. The spoke flange was cut off on one side and another sprocket was welded on in the middle. Hub sat where it would normally on a bike with a second chain going to the back axle. Pictures of the bike would help.

Optional three gear freewheel with derailleur on at least the 61-62 models. I've seen one years ago but don't remember any of the fine details. Seems the 61 model had to be dealer fitted and for the 62 model it was a $20 factory option. Wish I could remember if the one I saw had the rear expander brake.

1574645508195.png

1574645747920.png

I've seen different versions of the three wheeler, some one wheel drive some two wheel drive. Not sure what was made when. They did make 2 speed kickback and three speed versions. I had a red band for one. The spoke flange was cut off on one side and another sprocket was welded on in the middle. Hub sat where it would normally on a bike with a second chain going to the back axle. Pictures of the bike would help.

This is a tandem not a 3 wheeler. We do have a 2010 Town & Country 3 wheeler, it's a 3 speed but I don't consider it a "Schwinn", it's going up for sale in the Spring. This is the seller's pic not mine, I made them an offer on it and an early 70's Super Sport, the SS is in MUCH better condition. Pretty sure they're going to accept.

75594609_435758350463216_4992735959310139392_n.jpg

Optional three gear freewheel with derailleur on at least the 61-62 models. I've seen one years ago but don't remember any of the fine details. Seems the 61 model had to be dealer fitted and for the 62 model it was a $20 factory option. Wish I could remember if the one I saw had the rear expander brake.

Thanks! Just what I was looking for, since it was a retrofit it sounds like the 3 speed freewheel would fit in place of the single speed. The shifter and derailleur would be a piece of cake but where the heck would you find a 3 speed freewheel these days? Well, I won't find one unless I start looking LOL. Wish me luck. - - - That didn't take long, they're available on Ebay from China, not a big difference in the tooth count between cogs; 16/19/22; but it might be enough since it will only be ridden on pretty level ground.

Last edited:
Thanks! Just what I was looking for, since it was a retrofit it sounds like the 3 speed freewheel would fit in place of the single speed. The shifter and derailleur would be a piece of cake but where the heck would you find a 3 speed freewheel these days? Well, I won't find one unless I start looking LOL. Wish me luck.

I've seen a few old Atom three and four gear freewheels on eBay. Just make sure the threading is the same. If all else fails you could always swap out the hub with the 5 gear Atom drum that came on the later Tandems.

This is a tandem not a 3 wheeler. We do have a 2010 Town & Country 3 wheeler, it's a 3 speed but I don't consider it a "Schwinn", it's going up for sale in the Spring. This is the seller's pic not mine, I made them an offer on it and an early 70's Super Sport, the SS is in MUCH better condition. Pretty sure they're going to accept.

My bad, saw town & country and thought three wheeler

If you want to convert it to 3 or 4 speeds, you might need a longer axle and spacers and will need to spread the rear end from 110mm to 114 mm. In the late 70s, I converted my 5 sp Twin to 15 sp with Cook Bros Bottom Brackets and TA cranks. A lot of the Town and Countries came with Sturmey Archer 3sp Drums.

I have a Town and Country that came with a 3 speed freewheel and Campagnolo deraileur. Top tube mounted shifter. My '55 T & C Triple has the same set-up

Back