When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Multispeed Casette on SA 3 Speed

-
Would probably be easy enough to post pics of your hub up here too. Should be a month/year stamp in the middle of the hub if you're curious.

Here's some examples of the drivers.

How do I determine which Hub I have w/out taking it apart?
The pictures in the post immediately above by @WillWork4Parts clearly shows the 3 notches version, and the threaded version of the driver.
It should be possible to determine which version you have without removing your existing sprocket.
Just removing the rear wheel and cleaning the external area where the sprocket is attached should tell you what you need to know; threads, or 3 notches will be visible.

The pictures in the post immediately above by @WillWork4Parts clearly shows the 3 notches version, and the threaded version of the driver.
It should be possible to determine which version you have without removing your existing sprocket.
Just removing the rear wheel and cleaning the external area where the sprocket is attached should tell you what you need to know; threads, or 3 notches will be visible.
The hub is an AW 10 73, so notches. It already has the largest sprocket at the hub, and I need to go lower. I am thinking Campagnolo 2 sprocket and pedal assembly on the front. I am waiting for reply on Raleigh 10 speed, 26 X 1-3/8 tires that just came up for sale. Looks like the front sprockets that are on a standard Raleigh bottom bracket assembly like that is on my Raleigh Sport 3 speed. Are there other front sprocket assembly's that would work on the 3 speed?

I'm not sure where you're going with this...but it sounds like you're trying to end up with 3 different shifters?

It also helps to tackle one problem at a time and with Pictures.

Cool idea. I'm sure you'll engineer something. I think you said you already have a single fairly large cog on your 3-speed hub. If you just installed a chain tensioner you could run a multi-chainring crank with a front derailieur to multiply your gearing range.

Like you said, Keep it simple. My rear sprocket has 17 Teeth. I found 19 tooth ones, but I don't think that's going to be low enough. I think I will search for a 2 sprocket setup and chain tensioner for the front.

I just picked up the Raleigh Record 10 speed with 26 X 1-3/8 tires for our deteriorating roads. Too rough for my World Sport. I can now modify the 3 speed at my leisure.

1661303061789.png

I've put 22t cogs on most of my bikes with S-A AW hubs(3 notch driver).
They're pretty common and easy to find.
I remember seeing one seller who also had a 24t cog.
IIRC, S-A recommends not going with more than a 2 to 1 ratio between the chainring and the cog so you don't exceed the torque capabilities of the hub.

Back