When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray built Elgin curvy frame hot mess

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

piercer_99

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Been really busy for months, taking care of my bride as she healed up from a major surgery.

A few years ago, I sold my 1948 Monark Rocket hot mess, one of the terms of the sale was that I had first shot at buying it back. I started contacting the guy a couple months ago, finally a couple weeks ago he told me he has sold it, sorry. That bike started out as a broken frame and became an awesome rider.

So I wanted to build another 26" rider and this Elgin came up for sale. Due to the medical costs, I am going to just use what I have in the bike barn and garage to build it, hence hot mess.
1647221406644.png

also got these tires in the deal, so that is where it is starting.
1647221470658.png

I think I am going to pull the Lobdell wheelset off of my '78 Huffy cruiser and use them on this, then put a 3 speed coaster on my Huffy. Nope, not gonna happen.

Anyway, had an hour to start today, got a crankset installed. It is a start.
Of course, as things happen to have a hitch, I do not have the lockwasher or locknut for this prewar Monark dogleg and probably will be using a straight leg crank. Ces't la vie

more to come...

Last edited:
One of the best looking frames made. I enjoy doing the "Racer" thing with them. They look like they are moving when sitting still. A Murray and a Westfield in my curved bars. Look forward to seeing your progress

Last edited:
One of the best looking frames made. I enjoy doing the "Racer" thing with them. They look like they are moving when sitting still. A Murray and a Westfield in my curved bars. Look forward to seeing your progress

View attachment 1588494

View attachment 1588495
Cool rides you have there mate. I have to agree. Both are really great designs but I prefer the Murray and would have one in my collection but they seem on the small side.

3 speed Shimano Nexus. Put the straight crank on it.

Dig up a handlebar tomorrow and install the shifter, cable and maybe a chain if I get time.

Should tear down the rims and paint. Probably not though. If it rolls, it rides.

Last edited:
Back