When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murray built Elgin curvy frame hot mess

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
When I was a kid, I had no issues dropping my bike on its side, however over the years I have come to appreciate the kickstand and it's part in keeping a bicycle from damage.

On this, a dropstand would be great, but the price is not budget friendly.

A regular stand won't work, unless you want to drill a hole through the frame.

What I really wanted is a Wald axle mount, but for a 26" wheel they are unicorns and sell quickly when available.

I did have a nos wald for a 20" though, so a sacrificial broken stand, mated and welded to the wald works well. Not pretty mind you, however it works well.

If it works is it really a bad idea.

Nice bike.
I have seen some kickstands on Murray-built Sears Elgin bicycles, that used two separate bolts to straddle the yoke at the rear forks by the bottom bracket; but the rear kickstand looks cooler.

Last edited:
The Wald stand fix looks fine...they hold the bike better when there's stuff on the rack. Great rider! Fits you better I'm sure with the custom longer post. Colour seems to suit it's vintage vibe. Thanks for sharing!

Nice bike.
I have seen some kickstands on Murray-built Sears Elgin bicycles, that used two separate bolts to straddle the yoke at the rear forks by the bottom bracket; but the rear kickstand looks cooler.
Yes those are out there also, however they are even harder to find than the Wald in 26" size.

I do have access to a drop stand, however I don't think my bride would put up with her bike not having it anymore, yep it would get ugly really quick. 😎

Revisiting this.

The saddle I had on this was really heavy and bulky, so I redid an older girls saddle, which worked and looks better, yet is uncomfortable for long riding.

So I was finally able to procure a more appropriate, period correct saddle, which I will recover soon and install on the bike. Really need to find a smaller chain wheel, the 52t doesn't work well with the 3 speed.

We just ordered some new leather sofas, while at the factory I asked if they had any scrap leather. They gave me a large piece, said they just throw it away. I have enough to do 4 saddles.

If it cools down enough to work in the garage, perhaps I can get this done soon.

Back